Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Moving to testing - unmet dependencies

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pinni

Moving to testing - unmet dependencies

#1 Post by pinni »

Hi all,
I have stretch installed and want to move to testing.
I have updated stretch then edited my sources.list and commented out all the lines with security/updates/backports and now I'm left only with:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Now, after:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade 
I obtain:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gnustep-base-runtime : Depends: gnustep-base-common (>= 1.25.0-2) but 1.24.9-3.1 is to be installed
 libgnustep-base1.25 : Depends: gnustep-base-common (>= 1.25.0-2) but 1.24.9-3.1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages
Currently (on stretch), I've got

gnustep-base-runtime (1.24.9-3.1)
libgnustep-base1.24 (1.24.9-3.1)
installed.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me what should I do now.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moving to testing - unmet dependencies

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

pinni wrote:I would appreciate if someone could tell me what should I do now.
Get used to this dance when running development branches ;)

In a dist-upgrade there are a lot of moving parts.
Have you checked out the release notes?
There aren't any for testing, but the Jessie to Stretch documentation will give you an idea what's involved.

What about installing that dependency directly?

You will need a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to replace/upgrade a lot of the packages that have changed dependencies from earlier versions and packages that need removal (that may be the problem here).
Not familiar with how the 'apt' tool handles those situations.

Aptitude may help offering more options or info to see why it's not installing the later version.
also:
apt-cache policy <package>
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

If you are using apt, rather than apt-get, the command should be

sudo apt full-upgrade
E: Broken packages
Have you fixed the broken packages?

pinni

#4 Post by pinni »

Get used to this dance when running development branches
Gosh! I thought I'd be simpler and it'd just work... somehow... I really didn't want to change to other distro to have rolling release.
I read here and there that only deadly debian enemies spread rumours that testing is unstable and in fact testing or even sid work like a charm :) And now you scare me like this :wink: .
Have you fixed the broken packages?
What do you mean by fixing? Should I force install them from testing repositories?

So far I tried with apt-get and this time

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade 
does not report any errors.

Should I do it? I'm a bit afraid... :)

Thorny

#5 Post by Thorny »

pinni wrote: Gosh! I thought I'd be simpler and it'd just work... somehow... I really didn't want to change to other distro to have rolling release.
Should I do it? I'm a bit afraid... :)
Testing is not a "rolling release", it is the testing branch of Debian that is being tested in order to become the next "stable".

If you want a rolling release then you should install a distro that is one.

pcalvert

#6 Post by pcalvert »

I am not using Debian Testing, but if I wanted to I would not use pure Debian Testing. I would use a mixed, Debian Testing/Unstable system.

This old tutorial may be helpful:
Howto: Set up and Maintain a Mixed Testing/Unstable System

If you have questions, do not send a PM to rickh because you will not get a reply (he is deceased).

Since you seem to be new, I recommend installing siduction as a simpler and easier alternative.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

pinni

#7 Post by pinni »

Thank you guys.
I started to think about testing/sid as 'a sort of' rolling release (yes I know it's not true rolling release Thorny) since moving from jessie to stretch and discovering that I had wasted so much time for googling and configuring things that work out-of-the-box when you're on stretch.
But after reading another dozens of threads and posts (thank you pcalvert) I think I've made up my mind. I don't have much time for playing with system. I'd rather focus on my work and my laptop is not a state-of-the-art after all these years :-) I'll stick to stable with backports for the time being.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

pinni wrote:...I don't have much time for playing with system. I'd rather focus on my work and my laptop is not a state-of-the-art after all these years :-) I'll stick to stable with backports for the time being.
Good idea if you don't want to be continually managing upgrades.
I run siduction and it is an excellent way of having a sort of rolling release, but you need to be very careful about upgrades and know when to delay upgrades when it looks unsafe by proposing lots of package removals. Things will break sometimes and upgrades are often hundreds of MB each week.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!