Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Steam

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
derekcz

Installing Steam

#1 Post by derekcz »

Hello. I have recently switched from Mint to Debian, because it was conflicting with couple of my applications.
I find Debian better than Mint, but unlike with Mint, I am unable to install Steam.
I have tried simply executing "sudo apt-get install steam-launcher", I have also downloaded the package from Steam website and installed it.
None of these worked, returning an error saying that I am missing LibGL.so.1. I have fixed this initial error by executing "sudo apt-get install libGL-i386", which only resulted in couple seconds of installation after which I have received two additional errors. One of them saying that I am missing libdrm.so.2, and one AGAIN saying that I am missing LibGL.so.1.
I have searched the web and tried many fixes, most of which simply said that the package was not found or some not working at all.
I have ran both update and upgrade, I have 64-bit Intel Celeron CPU with integrated graphics (HP630 laptop).

Any advice would be appreciated. I remember with Mint all I did was "apt-get install steam" and it worked fine...

pawRoot

Re: Installing Steam

#2 Post by pawRoot »

Did you follow https://wiki.debian.org/Steam ?
You need to edit your sources.list and do "dpkg --add-architecture i386" if you are on 64 bit.

Cyborg

#3 Post by Cyborg »

pawRoot wrote:Did you follow https://wiki.debian.org/Steam ?
You need to edit your sources.list and do "dpkg --add-architecture i386" if you are on 64 bit.
I can confirm the guide works. Good luck!

derekcz

#4 Post by derekcz »

Well, I have solved it.
I switched from Czech repository to the Main server, and it seems to have fixed it.
Thank you for the responses, when I saw that it worked for you I knew the error was somewhere else