Installing Steam

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Installing Steam

Postby derekcz » 2018-01-19 15:54

Hello. I have recently switched from Mint to Debian, because it was conflicting with couple of my applications.
I find Debian better than Mint, but unlike with Mint, I am unable to install Steam.
I have tried simply executing "sudo apt-get install steam-launcher", I have also downloaded the package from Steam website and installed it.
None of these worked, returning an error saying that I am missing LibGL.so.1. I have fixed this initial error by executing "sudo apt-get install libGL-i386", which only resulted in couple seconds of installation after which I have received two additional errors. One of them saying that I am missing libdrm.so.2, and one AGAIN saying that I am missing LibGL.so.1.
I have searched the web and tried many fixes, most of which simply said that the package was not found or some not working at all.
I have ran both update and upgrade, I have 64-bit Intel Celeron CPU with integrated graphics (HP630 laptop).

Any advice would be appreciated. I remember with Mint all I did was "apt-get install steam" and it worked fine...
derekcz

Re: Installing Steam

Postby pawRoot » 2018-01-19 16:15

Did you follow https://wiki.debian.org/Steam ?
You need to edit your sources.list and do "dpkg --add-architecture i386" if you are on 64 bit.
pawRoot

Postby Cyborg » 2018-01-19 16:20

pawRoot wrote:Did you follow https://wiki.debian.org/Steam ?
You need to edit your sources.list and do "dpkg --add-architecture i386" if you are on 64 bit.

I can confirm the guide works. Good luck!
Cyborg

Postby derekcz » 2018-01-19 17:14

Well, I have solved it.
I switched from Czech repository to the Main server, and it seems to have fixed it.
Thank you for the responses, when I saw that it worked for you I knew the error was somewhere else
derekcz

Return to Beginners Questions