Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Mount permissions HDD

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mount permissions HDD

#31 Post by sunrat »

You said it worked without masks. You have to work out if you need masks (I don't use them) and what effect they have if you do.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pendrachken

#32 Post by pendrachken »

My bet is there was an unclean umount while working on getting everything. If I remember correctly ntfs-3g will only mount NTFS partitions that are flagged dirty as RO.

Easiest way to check this is to manually umount and remount the partition and see if it either spits out an error to console or in dmesg.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Lamios

#33 Post by Lamios »

Deleting the masks does not really solve the problem (also if it worked before I used the dmask and fmask). But it is now possible to open the 'create new' entry, but not to write it. That had not been possible in before. Trying to create a folder as root states that it is an read-only file system. Due to deleting the masks, everyone now has read, write and execute permissions.

An unclean unmount could be possible. I did try the un- and remounting twice. The first time it had been possible and in dmesg I could not find any warnings or errors.The second time it gave me the following:

Code: Select all

The device is currently busy: Error unmounting /dev/sda1: Command-line `umount  "/dev/sda1"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: umount: /media/Volume: target is busy
        (In some cases useful info about processes that
         use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1).)
I remember to have had this error in before, but thought it is unimportant because it is only due to some open processes in the background and will solve out after a reboot.
dmesg did not give me the complete output (I think it had been to long and therefore shortened in the beginning?) I only could find an firewall error, which occured after the failed unmount:

[ 2038.688746] nf_conntrack: default automatic helper assignment has been turned off for security reasons and CT-based  firewall rule not found. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.
But I think this is maybe not related to the HDD mount (and another topic if it reoccurs)...

pendrachken

#34 Post by pendrachken »

You can try running

ntfsfix /dev/sdXX
where you replace XX with the disk and partition number E.G. /dev/sda1 - you will have to figure out which partition is the NTFS filesystem.

You will also have to make sure fastboot is disabled in Windows and that Windows does not have a hibernation file present on that partition if you use it as a Windows boot device.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Lamios

#35 Post by Lamios »

It had been the fastboot from Windows, which caused the problems! Even though Windows runs on a separated disk. I am sure I deactivated fastboot before I installed Debian. Anyway... Thank you for your help! :D