Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby 1byte » 2018-01-22 09:00

Is it possible lets say to install off-line (with all the dependencies) this package "openarena"?
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/openarena

What I mean, download the package and all its dependencies for let's say Jessie and Stretch onto a USB stick
and take with me somewhere where there is not connection to internet so "sudo apt install openarena -y" would not work,
and I assume that no Debian DVD or BD medium is available .... and then just execute the file sudo dpkg -i *.deb to install with all dependencies?
Like it is possible with Window$ packages, copy exe file to USB stick and transfer to another PC on USB, then just execute to install ........


What happens if I do have lets say Debian BD1 and BD2 available and different dependencies for the package
let say again "openarena" are on both BD discs?
1byte
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-01-22 12:40

You can install .deb packages either by using dpkg or apt, however you will need to install the dependencies too, again this can be done with either of the two methods. There is also a third option, you could use apt-offline which can be run on off-line machine to create a "list" of required packages to a usb stick and then when you run this on another (on-line) machine it would download everything to the usb stick which could then be installed on the offline machine.
Any option you choose will require a bit of trial and error and I did use apt-offline to install some software to allow me to build the wifi driver and it was quite a tedious process but it did work and at the end I had a machine with working network and didn't need apt-offline anymore, but I also had to install apt-offline first on the machine without networking (with dependencies) which was done using dpkg (apt does this too now).
Not a simple process but it is "doable".
Dai_trying
 
Posts: 422
Joined: 2016-01-07 12:25

Re: Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby 1byte » 2018-01-22 19:58

Just found this:
http://admlinux.cubava.cu/2017/11/10/gr ... iona-file/

Create simple HTTP server to serve the Debian disc :
sudo python -m SimpleHTTPServer 80
or
sudo python3 -m http.server 80

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://localhost/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://localhost/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

Yes this is OFF-LINE, but only if I have the Debian DLBD/BD/DVD/CD discs ....
Last edited by 1byte on 2018-01-22 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
1byte
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby bw123 » 2018-01-22 20:17

It's really not practical to try to download a .deb and ALL of it's dependencies because that would include an entire system.

for instance openarena dep> libc6 dep>libgcc1 dep >gcc-6-base

For small apps with few dependencies I have done things like this, but unless you know exactly what pkgs are/are not installed on the new system you are transporting the .debs to, then it is error-prone. Without running apt/dpkg on the target, you don't know which depends you are going to need, and you just can't get them all.

Openarena looks like a pretty large project, so I think that approach isn't going to be very workable.

There is an apt-offline pkg that I haven't tried, but I have been needing something like it, might try it soon.
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 2989
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby 1byte » 2018-01-22 20:29

bw123 wrote:It's really not practical to try to download a .deb and ALL of it's dependencies because that would include an entire system.

for instance openarena dep> libc6 dep>libgcc1 dep >gcc-6-base

For small apps with few dependencies I have done things like this, but unless you know exactly what pkgs are/are not installed on the new system you are transporting the .debs to, then it is error-prone. Without running apt/dpkg on the target, you don't know which depends you are going to need, and you just can't get them all.

Openarena looks like a pretty large project, so I think that approach isn't going to be very workable.
.


Fair point, but Debian has been with us now for 24 years and there is no easy way (I have not looked at the apt-offline pkg yet) to install
package like we are used in Window$, yes I understand that mostly SERVERS running Debian, but I do love Debian on my Desktop/Laptop ....
and it would be easier for end users that want stable offline system to have ability to somehow build that *.deb file package including all
needed dependencies and install it with dpkg -i *.deb on the receiving machine if it is off-line ... including "openarena" ;)
1byte
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby bw123 » 2018-01-22 20:37

...it would be easier for end users that want stable offline system to have ability to somehow build that *.deb file package including all needed dependencies and install it with dpkg -i *.deb


Well, I can't disagree, it would be easier. Easier to install malware and other security-risks. Apt is the core of debian. It is very reliable and it works the way it does for many reasons. Convenience is not really high on my list, but I can see how that is important.

There may be a simple way to do what you want, I'm sure it's not a brand new idea. So if you solve it let me know?
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 2989
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby 1byte » 2018-01-22 20:51

bw123 wrote:Well, I can't disagree, it would be easier. Easier to install malware and other security-risks. Apt is the core of debian. It is very reliable and it works the way it does for many reasons. Convenience is not really high on my list, but I can see how that is important.


Fair point again, I see the only way for someone to deploy Debian on Desktop lets say in a remote village and educate children for argument sake would be to have the whole collection of Debian install discs ....
and then have them update every so often ... or set up local off-line mirror if that is possible ....
1byte
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby Thorny » 2018-01-22 21:52

1byte wrote:Fair point again, I see the only way for someone to deploy Debian on Desktop lets say in a remote village and educate children for argument sake would be to have the whole collection of Debian install discs ....
and then have them update every so often ... or set up local off-line mirror if that is possible ....

I'm thinking you didn't look very far.
apt-mirror
debmirror
debpartial-mirror
User avatar
Thorny
 
Posts: 542
Joined: 2011-02-27 13:40

Re: Off-line installation of package (Deb repo) from USB

Postby Argus » 2018-02-07 06:20

I download and use the first 3-5 DVD images, mount and load each one with 'mount <dvd iso> /media/cdrom' and load them into apr with 'apt-cdrom add -m'
You can also host the dvds locally as mentioned above.
The software on the dvds is intelligently ordered by popularity, meaning the first couple of disc images contain most of the packages you need.
This way, I have the majority of software I need available to me offline at the cost of only 10-20GB. You can fit that on a USB stick!
Argus
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 2017-12-03 01:19


Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

fashionable