Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Console/bash upload of file to "cloud" provider .....

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
1byte

Console/bash upload of file to "cloud" provider .....

#1 Post by 1byte »

How to upload a file "max size 2GB" to "cloud" provider that does not require registration/account from console/bash?

GarryRicketson

Re: Console/bash upload of file to "cloud" provider .....

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

This has nothing at all to do with Debian, ... You need to contact your
"cloud" provider , and ask them what methods they accept for uploads.

In any event, there is nothing any one can do to answer this with out at least knowing what methods they accept. I use 'scp' for a lot of my bigger files:
see:

Code: Select all

man scp
But my servers are all set up to use it.
SFTP:

Code: Select all

man sftp
is another option, if you provider offers that. If they give ssh access they probably also allow sftp.
Once you have the information, and if you can not figure out how to write a simple bash script, the Programming board would be more appropriate , to get help with writing the script, if need be.

I do have a ksh (almost the same as bash) script I use, it asks me for the file name, and when it makes the scp connection , prompts for my password, (maybe not needed in your case), also I do not have any file size limits in it,
but there is no point in posting it, since I do not even know if your provider accepts scp as a upload method. Some providers actually offer a plugin or something , and you would have to use that, you really need to ask them first about this.

1byte

#3 Post by 1byte »

@GarryRicketson

Thank you for taking time to reply.

I was hoping that
A] Someone over here may have already been trying to achieve this
B] Be able to recommend a cloud provider,

But then I may have solved it with plowshare
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/plowshare

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Is beyond the scope of this forum, sometimes we do get spam, and it includes
advertisements for various hosting services, some of which claim to be cloud providers.
I was hoping that
A] Someone over here may have already been trying to achieve this
Not trying, like I said, I have a script I use, to upload files to my servers, the thing of it is , with out knowing the requirements your provider has, or what they permit, no point on sharing the script.

That might work for you, but the same :
This package contains the framework and command line tolls, but does not contain any of the drivers (called 'modules') for specific file sharing websites.
After you decide which "cloud provider" you want to use, you will need to communicate with them to get the modules (drivers, or what I was calling"plugin"). This would be a factor in deciding which provider you decide to use, make sure the have good support, and if they can not tell you for sure if you will even be able to use Debian and the "plowshare" package, to access and up load / down load files, if they do not support that or the support tech does not know, DO NOT use them.
A simple search foo , will reveal many "cloud providers", it is up to you to research the ones you are interested in and make sure they are not scams or crooks.
Again I stress this:
Promoting or recommending specific hosting companies, and "cloud providers" is beyond the scope of this forum.
If there are any members that have suggestions on that, they could send you a PM , though. Posts promoting these services are at risk of being considered spam.
I do believe there is a list, some where on the debian.org web site, that is hosting services, and providers that support Debian. Just search for it.