Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 64 bits XFCE. Is it important a graphics card?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
MatiasBarrios

Debian 64 bits XFCE. Is it important a graphics card?

#1 Post by MatiasBarrios »

Hi folks,

This is my first post on this forum. I have been a whole life Windows user and just this year I am planning to switch permanently to a Linux distribution. I have chosen Debian since I like its philosophy and it seems as a nice community. I have solid knowledge of *nix since I worked in an IT company ( where I use mostly Centos/Ubuntu server distros ) but I have never used Linux as a home PC. I am planning to buy the below PC to install Debian on it.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.uy/ML ... ns/element

As you can see ( yeah its on Spanish but I think you will all get it ) it does only count with integrated HD Video. So my question is, they are offering me to pay some extra 60 bucks ( yeah Uruguay is expensive AF ) to put a Geforce GT730 GB DDR on it. I dont want to use this PC for gaming, as Ill use it for coding in general, but I want to be able to do the below stuff smoothly though:

- Use GIMP smoothly.
- Have a smooth desktop environment.
- Use Netflix on HD smoothly (I also download many movies in HD).
- Only occasionally play with some emulator for retro gaming consoles ( snes, nes and genesis ).

Will the integrated video be enough for such tasks? I know XFCE is light, but maybe I am being cheap and saving 60 bucks and the experience will not be as smooth and Ill end up buying it separately on the future.

Sorry for my extensive post and thank you all.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian 64 bits XFCE. Is it important a graphics card?

#2 Post by sunrat »

Integrated video should be fine. You may need to add non-free firmware to make it work properly. Easiest way to do that is download and install from the "unofficial" installation image with non-free firmware included.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pawRoot

#3 Post by pawRoot »

I would rather invest 60$ into SSD (if you can buy SSD for this price in Uruguay), since they probably ship this PC with 5400 rpm ?

dotlj

#4 Post by dotlj »

I run Gimp on an Intel i7-3620 with Nvidia GeForce GT 640M using the non proprietary drivers and Gimp works very nicely. The system is five years old and even with several terminals open, a few connections to other networks, various applications running, Gimp is smooth. The desktop is also smooth and most things respond instantly which is nice. It's only when I have several Firefox profiles open with rows of tabs and copying GB of files over a network plus a few other things running, that I can see any delay at all, and then only briefly and everything is back to very snappy.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Go with the Intel graphics. You can always add a more powerful discrete GPU later if you discover the need for it.
MX Linux packager and developer

MatiasBarrios

#6 Post by MatiasBarrios »

Thanks all for your advices!