Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome classic something similar

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
freefixkorma

Gnome classic something similar

#1 Post by freefixkorma »

hi there i am running debian 9 on laptop 64bits i want some advise can you guys advice something similar to gnome classic ,cause i am having issues creating a drag and drop icons to my desktop i love gnome classic ,i gnome tweek tool and nada ,nothing seems to work ,can you advice a desktop environment with same characteristics gnome that i can handle drag and drop before it was no issue doing that i guess gnome classic are not supporting the way they use to do it before ,if someone had same issue please post i am still open to fix that on gnome classic or move forward to new desktop environment thanks in advance
freefix

Wheelerof4te

Re: Gnome classic something similar

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

MATE DE is what you are looking for. It's a fork of GNOME2, but with some green added to it :D
https://wiki.debian.org/Mate

freefixkorma

#3 Post by freefixkorma »

[quote="Wheelerof4te"]MATE DE is what you are looking for. It's a fork of GNOME2, but with some green added to it :D
https://wiki.debian.org/Mate
[how can i install it terminal will you give me hand how to thank you]

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Code: Select all

apt install mate-desktop-environment
for the full desktop.

apt install mate-desktop-environment-core
if you want minimal without applications. Honestly, I have linked to the wiki page that points to the packages.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ Your linked wiki page clearly advises:

apt install task-mate-desktop
Your commands will not install a display manager.
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

OP didn't specify if they have another DE installed or not, so I suggested a lightier approach. OP even hasn't bothered to read the linked wiki page.

Thorny

[OT]Re: Gnome classic something similar

#7 Post by Thorny »

[OT] freefixkorma, please forgive me for going off topic in your thread. You already have the good answers you need.

@H_o_a_S

That is a great sig. It seems to fit your style too.

It isn't my regular type of music but I have to say, when, after reading the lyrics, I played a Youtube video of Suicidal Tendencies doing it I really enjoyed it.

Very energetic and powerful.

I can imagine you flying through the streets on a crotch rocket "several" kilometres per hour over the speed limit. Maybe even screaming it at the top of your lungs. ;-)

freefixkorma

#8 Post by freefixkorma »

thank you all i install mate is working great
solve thread