Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why does Mozilla want us to install Firefox to our home dir

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
white_tee_shirt

Re: Why does Mozilla want us to install Firefox to our home

#16 Post by white_tee_shirt »

stevepusser wrote:That "firefox" shortcut is just a text .desktop file. You have to open it with a text editor and edit the Exec= line to where Firefox is living now (probably /home/<username>/Downloads/firefox/firefox) and also the Icon= line to whatever icon file you want to use. Your downloaded Firefox has some .png files you can use it in someplace, or just download one of your own.
You are right. I found the firefox quantum icon in one of the sub directories and edited the properties to change the icon. Not sure how I can make shortcuts of an application. The file is an executable binary and hence i cant open it in a text editor

debiman

#17 Post by debiman »

white_tee_shirt, in future please post a link instead of a full-sized image.
better yet to describe the issue in a few more words (often also helps with troubleshooting) instead of taking yet another screenshot.

acewiza

#18 Post by acewiza »

stevepusser wrote:
sgage wrote:You can put it wherever you want. I have always put it in /opt. And the auto-update feature works fine.
That is not possible unless you change the permissions on the /opt/firefox folder or are insane enough to run the browser as root.
Filesystem permissions changes are not required for a normal user to run FF from /opt.

At least not the latest current version.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

I thought we were talking about the auto update, since that is what I started my posts in this thread about, and I have stuck to that. You can't use auto-update when it's in /opt without changing some things from the norm, since the standard user does not have permission to change any files there. If you are running the browser as root, sure, it can update itself. Otherwise, you have to change the permissions of /opt/firefox to get it to work.
MX Linux packager and developer

acewiza

#20 Post by acewiza »

stevepusser wrote:I thought we were talking about the auto update...
Right, my bad. :mrgreen:

I guess my thought was if you don't have root on the box, you probably shouldn't be too concerned about what software is getting installed where/how.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#21 Post by None1975 »

stevepusser wrote: Otherwise, you have to change the permissions of /opt/firefox to get it to work.
Not necessarily. If you downloaded Firefox to your home folder, it can get updates without root permissions. Just open Firefox menu, go to "help/About Firefox". The program itself will find updates and install them.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

uthappam

#22 Post by uthappam »

stevepusser: "If it's in your home folder, it's easier for their automatic update feature to work."

I have FF Quantum in /home/***/firefox and have done three updates manually. What is the automatic update feature, please?

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

None1975 wrote:
stevepusser wrote: Otherwise, you have to change the permissions of /opt/firefox to get it to work.
Not necessarily. If you downloaded Firefox to your home folder, it can get updates without root permissions. Just open Firefox menu, go to "help/About Firefox". The program itself will find updates and install them.
Of course, but I am specifically listing a couple of the issues when you install it to /opt as in the wiki. I thought I was making that very clear!

MX Linux packager and developer

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#24 Post by None1975 »

stevepusser wrote: I thought I was making that very clear!
Yes. i understand it, linux guru....

debiman

#25 Post by debiman »

^ what, you're pulling the noob card now?
that's just disappointing.
[ also dedoimedo's sense of humour leaves a lot to be desired. ]

fwiw, this is what stevepusser meant, and it's perfectly clear to me:
stevepusser wrote:I thought we were talking about the auto update, since that is what I started my posts in this thread about, and I have stuck to that. You can't use auto-update when it's in /opt without changing some things from the norm, since the standard user does not have permission to change any files there. If you are running the browser as root, sure, it can update itself. Otherwise, you have to change the permissions of /opt/firefox to get it to work.

Thorny

[OT]Re: Why does Mozilla want us to install Firefox to our h

#26 Post by Thorny »

[OT]
debiman wrote:[ also dedoimedo's sense of humour leaves a lot to be desired. ]
I agree with you about that, however I liked stevepusser's animated GIF. I often feel like that when I read through some of the threads here on the forum. :-)

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#27 Post by None1975 »

debiman wrote:^ what, you're pulling the noob card now?
that's just disappointing.
[ also dedoimedo's sense of humour leaves a lot to be desired. ]

fwiw, this is what stevepusser meant, and it's perfectly clear to me:
stevepusser wrote:I thought we were talking about the auto update, since that is what I started my posts in this thread about, and I have stuck to that. You can't use auto-update when it's in /opt without changing some things from the norm, since the standard user does not have permission to change any files there. If you are running the browser as root, sure, it can update itself. Otherwise, you have to change the permissions of /opt/firefox to get it to work.
Firefox can update itself, if it run in your home folder. For example, i download it to home directory, placed .tar.bz2 archive anywhere (i place it under folder "Documents/Browser"), extracted it, then i go to extracted folder, locate executable file, named "firefox", execute it. Then i clicked "help", "about firefox". This guy automaticaly check for new version of Firefox, and update it. No need changing some things from the norm....