Installing Persepolis download manager (Deb 9)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Installing Persepolis download manager (Deb 9)

Postby white_tee_shirt » 2018-02-08 23:36

hi all,
as title says trying to install Persepolis download manager.
The persepolis site is more catered towards Ubunutu users : https://persepolisdm.github.io/

Code: Select all
sudo echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/persepolis/ppa/ubuntu xenial main #deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/persepolis/ppa/ubuntu xenial main " > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/persepolis-ppa.list

How do I add their ppa to my apt deb 9 source repository?
white_tee_shirt

Re: Installing Persepolis download manager (Deb 9)

Postby Bulkley » 2018-02-08 23:54

That looks like a good way to wreak havoc on your Debian. DontBreakDebian You need to get the source and convert it to a deb. It's more work than I can be bothered with. Why not use Synaptic which is in the Debian repositories.
Bulkley

Postby stevepusser » 2018-02-09 01:11

DON'T. ADD. PPAS. TO. DEBIAN.

Seriously. If you have to ask if it's safe to do so, you don't know enough yet to do it safely.

Try installing gdebi, then using it to install the deb file from their releases page. https://github.com/persepolisdm/persepolis/releases That's safer than adding random repositories.

If you want something similar, maybe even better, try uget from the repository. It also uses aria2 as the downloader.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kdenlive 18.08.1, Pale Moon 28.1.0, wine-staging 3.17, qBittorrent 4.1.3, Liquorix kernel 4.18-13, Audacity 2.3.0
stevepusser

Postby white_tee_shirt » 2018-02-09 01:39

DON'T. ADD. PPAS. TO. DEBIAN.

Geez! I didn't know that.
Thanks! I will try safe route.
Last edited by white_tee_shirt on 2018-02-09 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
white_tee_shirt

Postby white_tee_shirt » 2018-02-09 02:03

stevepusser wrote:Try installing gdebi, then using it to install the deb file from their releases page. https://github.com/persepolisdm/persepolis/releases That's safer than adding random repositories.
If you want something similar, maybe even better, try uget from the repository. It also uses aria2 as the downloader.

Ok. I installed gdebi, but i don't know how to use it? Can you please tell me how to use that? And what does it do?
I then clicked the link you gave and downloaded the .deb file.
But it's an archive which needed me to extract. And if I extract, it extracts to my
~/Downloads
directory which is not where I wish that or any application to be installed at. This is why I preferred to install the application using
apt-get install persepolis
command, it would install the files at the right place. I hate installing things to my Downloads directory. Already my Firefox application is sitting there.

Any advice?
white_tee_shirt

Postby kedaha » 2018-02-09 09:22

Bulkley wrote:You need to get the source and convert it to a deb. It's more work than I can be bothered with.

Neither can I but maybe it's not so much work to judge from the instructions.
I'd never heard of this download manager but it might be useful to some users.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
kedaha

Postby Thorny » 2018-02-09 09:41

white_tee_shirt wrote:Ok. I installed gdebi, but i don't know how to use it? Can you please tell me how to use that? And what does it do?

After you have installed a piece of software on your system you can read the manual page for it by entering man <name_of_software> in a terminal window. For example,
man gdebi

white_tee_shirt wrote: I hate installing things to my Downloads directory. Already my Firefox application is sitting there.

When you are extracting an archive, you can choose the location to which it is extracted.

If you use one of the package managers that come with Debian and install software from the Debian repositories, they are installed in the "right place".
white_tee_shirt wrote:Any advice?

Yes, but you probably won't like it.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
Thorny

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-02-09 09:54

Ok. I installed gdebi, but i don't know how to use it? Can you please tell me how to use that? And what does it do?

Key words:
how to use gdebi on Debian  and what does it do

Copy and paste the key words into your favourite search engine.
OR,
man gdebi

And for those that don't like to read:
I made this a long time ago, but, I don't know if it could still apply to Debian 9,
If you need a bigger image, just click the above image.^
=========== edited ===========
You can also just select and right click the .deb file, if you have gdebi installed, you should see a option "open with Gdebi" .
============ can be clicked, for full size ^=======
GarryRicketson

Postby Thorny » 2018-02-09 10:14

Garry, it is nice of you to offer that animated GIF but depending on which DE white_tee_shirt is using they may not see drop down menu like in your GIF.

Of course your advice to use a search engine is right on the money. ;-)

[edit]Oops, I missed your edit, naturally, that is good too.
Thorny

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-02-09 10:29

Yea, I know, and they don' mention what DE they have but I think even Gnome has some kind of pretty Icon , that represents applications, and they can clicky click the Icon.....
On a side note, that would help the as well, if they include the DE name in their search key words,...
In any event, it is difficult to figure out which Icon to click these days, on these modern systems. I remember when things were simple and easy.
Any way, if the OP does not understand or like the instruction given here,
there are plenty more available.
Without the Desktop Environment name:
How to use gdebi

I notice there is some youtube videos as well, but did not look at them.
GarryRicketson

[OT]Re: Installing Persepolis download manager (Deb 9)

Postby Thorny » 2018-02-09 10:49

[OT]
GarryRicketson wrote: In any event, it is difficult to figure out which Icon to click these days, on these modern systems. I remember when things were simple and easy.

Garry they were only simple and easy for us, probably because we are "oldschool" and had learned how to do things without clickable icons. That makes things easier for us when we can't get GUI desktop, we just drop to a console and fix things, eh?
Thorny

Postby white_tee_shirt » 2018-02-09 14:32

Bulkley wrote:Why not use Synaptic which is in the Debian repositories.

Because when I searched using Synaptic PM, I didn't get any results for Persepolis there.
white_tee_shirt

Postby Bulkley » 2018-02-09 15:59

white_tee_shirt wrote: . . . when I searched using Synaptic PM, I didn't get any results for Persepolis there.

You won't because it is not in Debian's repository.
Bulkley

Postby stevepusser » 2018-02-10 00:57

A deb file is indeed an archive, but you don't extract it; you let the package install tools handle that.

Most DEs should let you right-click a deb file, chose "open with" , then chose the gdebi-gtk GUI. But the failsafe is just to use

gdebi <deb-file-name>

in a terminal as sysadmin.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kdenlive 18.08.1, Pale Moon 28.1.0, wine-staging 3.17, qBittorrent 4.1.3, Liquorix kernel 4.18-13, Audacity 2.3.0
stevepusser

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-02-10 01:23

Steve all ready mentioned this,

by stevepusser » If you want something similar, maybe even better, try uget from the repository. It also uses aria2 as the downloader.

And I agree, it would be better to use "uget"

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/uget

Then you can use "synaptic package manager", to install it.
Or, better :
apt install uget

Unless you have a good reason to prefer or want this, Persepolis download manager, personally I think Uget is better, and it will be supported, with security updates , etc.
One of the primary advantages of Debian is its central repository with thousands of software packages. If you're coming to Debian from another operating system, you might be used to installing software that you find on random websites. On Debian installing software from random websites is a bad habit. It's always better to use software from the official Debian repositories if at all possible. The packages in the Debian repositories are known to work well and install properly. Only using software from the Debian repositories is also much safer than installing from random websites which could bundle malware and other security risks.

It is not just the Ubuntu PPA's, anything from any where else is really a last resort, like when there is no package available in the Debian Repositories.
All though Git hub is known to be reliable ,etc. it still is not a Debian Repository, and "uget" is a better option. (In my opinion)
GarryRicketson

Next

Return to Beginners Questions