Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

upgrading firefox (Solved, THX)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pawRoot

Re: upgrading firefox

#31 Post by pawRoot »

I can use it fine with dmenu and rofi, although i have used the script i provided above.

Head_on_a_Stick

#32 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pawRoot wrote:I can use it fine with dmenu and rofi
Only because your script places the FF binary in /opt then sets the x-terminal-emulator alternative to that.

Setting x-terminal-emulator to ~/bin/firefox is not really sensible, even in a single-user system :?
deadbang

pawRoot

#33 Post by pawRoot »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pawRoot wrote:I can use it fine with dmenu and rofi
Only because your script places the FF binary in /opt then sets the x-terminal-emulator alternative to that.

Setting x-terminal-emulator to ~/bin/firefox is not really sensible, even in a single-user system :?
No no i modified the script to copy it to ~/bin/ :D

jppattison

#34 Post by jppattison »

I have tried to use every piece of advice that I can understand .... I have downloaded Firefox 5 times, trying each way that a person has suggested, nothing! I guess I should have left well enough alone!I have also tried to remove Firefox ESR, and that's probably where I made my biggest mistake. Now I can no longer launch Firefox, Firefox-ESR from the menus OR from the Application Finder - I get a little red sign instead of the Internet. I was getting "Failed to execute default Web Browser, input/output error", but now that Konqueror has taken over, I don't even get that anymore. The only advice I didn't take (other than bash scripts) was th MX repos, since H-O-A-S linked to "breaking your debian" when I suggested putting 'testing' repos into my sources.list. I figured if it wasn't from a Debian repo, it wasn't a good idea!
I think I've completely screwed up my install, so I'll end up having to re-install. I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience :lol: . Like I said, I think that when I tried removing all traces of Firefox ESR, that started me on the fast trip to the bottom.

BTW, Konqueror is Dog-Slow, and I think it is still in the dark ages as far as browsers go, but at least I had a way to get on the net! When I re-install, I'll find a better back-up brewser, that's for sure! :wink:

THANKS TO ALL who have tried to help me on this, it was much appreciated. I'll be back when I re-install - either tonite or tomorrow, I think.

pawRoot

#35 Post by pawRoot »

since you are doing clean install just try the last script i posted, i used it on 3 machines already and have 0 problems, why overcomplicate things :D

jppattison

#36 Post by jppattison »

I still don't understand scripts! do I just copy and paste what you have there to a user prompt? OR to a root prompt? I've never used a script, but I'm willing if it's that easy ...... do I need to download something when I get the new install going?
You just reminded me, I need to put that wifi stuff on a USB for the install! THX

pawRoot

#37 Post by pawRoot »

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env sh

### Latest Firefox 64bit en-US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# For other operating systems replace 'os=win' with:
#   Windows 64bit              os=win64
#   OS X                       os=osx
#   Linux x86_64               os=linux64
#   Linux i686                 os=linux

mkdir -p ~/bin/

wget -O firefox.tar.bz2 https://download.mozilla.org/\?product\=firefox-latest\&os\=linux64\&lang\=en-US

tar xvf firefox.tar.bz2

rsync -a firefox ~/bin/
sudo ln -s ~/bin/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser ~/bin/firefox/firefox 200
sudo update-alternatives --set x-www-browser ~/bin/firefox/firefox

rm firefox.tar.bz2
rm -rf firefox

sudo rm -f /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
sudo touch /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop

sudo sh -c "cat >> /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop" << 'EoT'
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Firefox
Comment=Web Browser
GenericName=Web Browser
X-GNOME-FullName=Firefox
Exec=~/bin/firefox/firefox %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=~/bin/firefox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
StartupWMClass=Firefox
StartupNotify=true
EoT
To run it, save it in file.sh, then

chmod +x file.sh
./file.sh

jppattison

#38 Post by jppattison »

THX I had to wait t0o see if you were still there ... With Konqueror, I'm not seeing new tabs or windows so I can find my other thread. See ya!

pawRoot

#39 Post by pawRoot »

Ok, let me know how it went for you :D

stevepusser

#40 Post by stevepusser »

jppattison wrote:I have tried to use every piece of advice that I can understand .... I have downloaded Firefox 5 times, trying each way that a person has suggested, nothing! I guess I should have left well enough alone!I have also tried to remove Firefox ESR, and that's probably where I made my biggest mistake. Now I can no longer launch Firefox, Firefox-ESR from the menus OR from the Application Finder - I get a little red sign instead of the Internet. I was getting "Failed to execute default Web Browser, input/output error", but now that Konqueror has taken over, I don't even get that anymore. The only advice I didn't take (other than bash scripts) was th MX repos, since H-O-A-S linked to "breaking your debian" when I suggested putting 'testing' repos into my sources.list. I figured if it wasn't from a Debian repo, it wasn't a good idea!
I think I've completely screwed up my install, so I'll end up having to re-install. I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience :lol: . Like I said, I think that when I tried removing all traces of Firefox ESR, that started me on the fast trip to the bottom.

BTW, Konqueror is Dog-Slow, and I think it is still in the dark ages as far as browsers go, but at least I had a way to get on the net! When I re-install, I'll find a better back-up brewser, that's for sure! :wink:

THANKS TO ALL who have tried to help me on this, it was much appreciated. I'll be back when I re-install - either tonite or tomorrow, I think.
I set up the packaging for those MX Firefox packages, so believe me when I say it's one of the safest debs you can install. It won't break anything on a Stretch, Jessie, Buster, Sid, or even Wheezy platform. Install gdebi and get in the habit of using it if you find other standalone debs out there, since it won't let you install incompatible packages. There are many deb packages out there that are still not in Debian, and may never be.

I also build Debian and Ubuntu packages for the lighter weight and quite popular Pale Moon browser from source in a repository that the PM developers have approved for distribution. Since they are compiled from source* into machine language binary files, those have more of a chance of only working on their target releases.

* Debian testing and Ubuntu 17.10 have a buggy libc6 2.26 that causes Pale Moon source builds to fail, so I have to bundle binaries for those releases like the Firefox packages.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#41 Post by stevepusser »

If you want to expand your mind even more, and use another really quick browser that gets better HTML 5 compliance scores than Firefox, get the Qupzilla 2.2.5 AppImage from qupzilla.com, make it executable (another thing to learn to do), and click it to launch it. It will ask to add itself to the menu.

jppattison

#42 Post by jppattison »

pawRoot wrote:Ok, let me know how it went for you :D
I'm not sure ..... I formatted the drive to get rid of anything that might be screwed up, made that same drive the / partition, it loaded, etc. but since I've been using the terminal to update, add firmware, install sudo, etc., I've had some 'glitches' that include the terminal showing what is on the particular website I happen to be on, as well as a couple of times it showed some of the commands I had used before I re-installed, which I haven't yet used! Also, even tho I installed sudo, and used

usermod -a -G sudo <my username>
(I've done that in user and root several times), every time I try to use sudo, it says I'm not in the sudoers file!
I'm wondering if I need to re-install again :? :x Grrrrrrr :x

I guess it's another learning experience, huh? BTW, I haven't used your script yet, because like I said, I may have to re-install. Got to see if I can work out the kinks first before I worry about upgrading Firefox ;>).

pawRoot

#43 Post by pawRoot »

not sure how to help with your sudo problem, from what i remember i always did

adduser USERNAME sudo
and it worked fine after reboot.

also not sure if you know but if you don't create root user during install you will be in sudoers group from beginning, you won't even need to install sudo package,if you want to do that just don't fill root password during install, only set password for your user.

jppattison

#44 Post by jppattison »

stevepusser wrote:If you want to expand your mind even more, and use another really quick browser that gets better HTML 5 compliance scores than Firefox, get the Qupzilla 2.2.5 AppImage from qupzilla.com, make it executable (another thing to learn to do), and click it to launch it. It will ask to add itself to the menu.
Another learning experience? I don't know if this old guy can take all that learnin' :lol:
If I work out the kinks in this new install, I'll give that browser a spin, and yes, I don't mind learning more about making things executable. I actually like the command line, and I would like to become proficient enuff that if I lost X, I could still survive ..... but hopefully that's a long ways off!

The only thing I did different this time was to leave KDE off the list, so I'll need to have a backup browser (hated Konqueror). Is there a good, user friendly editor that would take the place of kate? Definitely not Emacs or Vi if I can get away from it! I do use nano for a very little bit of editing configuration files, so maybe that's sufficient - kate was more like a notepad to me.

Head_on_a_Stick

#45 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

jppattison wrote:I have also tried to remove Firefox ESR
What _exactly_ did you do?

The normal, sane, sensible person would use

sudo apt purge firefox-esr
I presume you tried something a little more imaginative?
deadbang

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#46 Post by None1975 »

pawRoot wrote:But then everytime he want's to launch Firefox he has to navigate to Firefox folder which is kinda lame imo. :mrgreen:
I'm so comfortable. I'm not using DE. I use Xmonad, Herbstluftwm and DWM. I made shortcut. If I want to open Firefox, simply click on keyboard shortcut mod+shift+w. Voilà! Firefox opened.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

pawRoot

#47 Post by pawRoot »

I am using WM's too, but apparently he isn't.

stevepusser

#48 Post by stevepusser »

Is there a good, user friendly editor that would take the place of kate? Definitely not Emacs or Vi if I can get away from it! I do use nano for a very little bit of editing configuration files, so maybe that's sufficient - kate was more like a notepad to me.
For MX 17, we switched to Featherpad as the default text editor because it had a tiny added footprint, has a lot of features which can be switched off or on in the settings so it can look like a dead simple notepad-like editor or you can use it for complex code editing, and the developer is very responsive to requests or to bugs. It's recently been added to upstream Debian, but even that 0.7 version is falling behind with some of the newer features like auto-save and date-time hotkey entry being added since then. The Debian packager has been behind many of the latest added feature requests.

The MX 17 versions are built to be fully Stretch-compatible by yrs. truly: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/f/featherpad/

jppattison

#49 Post by jppattison »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
jppattison wrote:I have also tried to remove Firefox ESR
What _exactly_ did you do?

The normal, sane, sensible person would use

sudo apt purge firefox-esr
I presume you tried something a little more imaginative?
Well, I always thought I was kinda normal, but sane? No one has ever accused me of being sane ;>).
I went into every directory that contained firefox-esr and removed the firefox-esr files .... obviously I made the wrong, wrong choice! - but now I know what is the correct command to use!
THX!

jppattison

#50 Post by jppattison »

I purged firefox-esr, tried the bash script, and got this message "Failed to execute default Browser input/output Error"
After doing a lot of research on the web, I find that it's somehow connected with Google Chrome and Chromium - neither of which I have installed or ever used. I then tried the MX firefox, as suggested by Steven Pusser, but every time it opened up, I got an MX pic and ad, instead of firefox-branded page. Then I had to change it to wherever I wanted to go. I have now d/l'ed Midori as a backup browser, but I'm still working on installing the 'real' Firefox, but it will have to be from a download/extract/run.
Every time I purged the MX firefox and ran the bash script again, when I would click on the icon on the bottom of the desktop, I got the MX Firefox page - AFTER I'd purged it! I never did get the 'real' one from the bash script ....