Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Think I've broken X *lesson learned*

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
GarryRicketson

Re: Think I've broken X

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

Sorry guys :C the thread can be closed.
No problem, sorry you had a bad experience, but now you learned something as well,... You can edit the subject line on the first post. add "solved" or "lesson learned",... we don't usually close threads unless they get real bad or are breaking forum guidelines.

stevepusser

Re: Think I've broken X *lesson learned*

#17 Post by stevepusser »

This is a lot better video if you want to use some of the famous good old Compiz effects. The version in the Debian repo is a pale shadow of what compiz once was and what you can still get with compiz-reloaded. I'm not sure if you can use it with GNOME 3. Skip ahead to 9:00 if you want to see some of the effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_OTHYCenHk&t=168s
MX Linux packager and developer

Derpbian

#18 Post by Derpbian »

stevepusser wrote:This is a lot better video if you want to use some of the famous good old Compiz effects. The version in the Debian repo is a pale shadow of what compiz once was and what you can still get with compiz-reloaded. I'm not sure if you can use it with GNOME 3. Skip ahead to 9:00 if you want to see some of the effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_OTHYCenHk&t=168s
Thanks, But im going to read more about X before I start fiddling in the filesystem again. This might be off-topic but I have managed to install the following after the re-install:

Encrypted my drives/partitions.
Disabled SSH root login.
Set my user in the sudoers file (standard).
Drivers for my WLAN using non-free repo.
Installed Nvidia graphics drivers (Bumblebee).

With that said, I will take the feedback from you guys with me and proceed deeper into the rabbit hole.

Many thanks!
su

Argus

#19 Post by Argus »

Hey Derpbian,

I wanted to give you some encouragement and advice as one beginner to another.
I started using Linux only about 8-9 months ago, and I broke a few installs at first because I'm a natural tinkerer. However, Linux is surprisingly resilient and difficult to truly break; once you learn a little more about the system, you'll find that you can fix just about anything.

I just don't want you to be afraid of tinkering, because that's how you learn! I now fearlessly tinker with my system, because I'm confident that I know what I'm doing and can fix anything that I break, and it didn't even take me 6 months to get to that point. I haven't had to reinstall a system after my first few months, and I frequently tinker with and occasionally break / fix things. But a few simple guidelines make fixing things, should I break them, relatively easy and painless:

1) Have a stable machine, and a tinkering machine (either on a non-essential computer, or running in a VM). Try things out on your non-mission critical machine first.

2) As much as possible, don't use automated GUI tools or scripts. Edit files manually. That way, you know what you edited and how, and can make backups of the original configuration file before changing anything. The problem with scripts or high level GUI programs is that you have no idea what they're doing, and so you don't know how to fix things if they go wrong.

3) Check the repositories to see if things are available there first. Especially with themes and such, this is much easier than manually installing them. I still install or compile software myself in addition to what's in the repos (in violation of one of the "Don't break Debian" rules which I feel is too conservative), but I always go to the repo first as it's more reliable, and you can find most things there.

Of course, I'm not saying don't run scripts or use gui tweak tools. I consider many tools, such as the Gnome Tweak Tool safe, and plenty of scripts are safe too. But I use my better judgement: I shy away from any script that edits system config files and read / understand it first -- if I don't get the gist of what it does by reading over it or it messes with files that I'm not comfortable with, I figure I shouldn't run it unless I'm okay with potentially breaking things on the target system which may be time consuming to fix.