Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Removing firefox ruined (some elements of) the UI

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
shinichisan

Removing firefox ruined (some elements of) the UI

#1 Post by shinichisan »

Hello! This is what happened, I wanted to erase firefox esr from a default debian9 installation:

by using sudo apt-get purge firefox. Now it didn't erase firefox but notified me that there were some packages which were not needed, and if I wanted to delete them. I naturally pressed Y (thinking it was in relation to firefox, but in the end it wasn't :cry: ) and everything went normally until I opened the Software center and the terminal, I noticed some elements from the UI were missing.
Here's a picture (I couldn't upload as attachments)
https://imgur.com/a/gGZyx

Look at how the tool menu on the Terminal is all cramped and how the Screenshot menu is lacking some circles (and other thingies) around the options when Arc theme is selected, It is not possible to see the volume slider as well in the first picture. This wasn't like this before I deleted all those packages via the terminal.

The arc-theme is dependent on gtk2-murrine so I went onto Synaptic Package Manager and marked them for complete removal, then I restarted the system and installed gtk2 and arc theme again but the problem persists. I don't have any "Broken packages" apparently.

Please help me out! I know this is silly but I don't want to have to reinstall again (I already had to i the past due to my own clumsiness...), I swear I will try not to remove firefox again, I promise! I will be truly grateful for your help.

debiman

Re: Removing firefox ruined (some elements of) the UI

#2 Post by debiman »

have a look at what was uninstalled, there's an apt history file in /var/log/apt.
it has timestamps, so you can see exactly what happened.
re-install all these files.
reboot.

lesson learned: when it asks "are you sure [Y/n]?", read before pressing enter.

shinichisan

#3 Post by shinichisan »

debiman wrote:have a look at what was uninstalled, there's an apt history file in /var/log/apt.
it has timestamps, so you can see exactly what happened.
re-install all these files.
reboot.

lesson learned: when it asks "are you sure [Y/n]?", read before pressing enter.
Hey! thanks for your reply. I did just as you said. Installed all that was removed, restarted, then deleted gt2k and arc, restarted, installed gtk2, restarted and then arc-theme, and it still happens :cry:
For what it's worth, I used the apt autoremove command when deleting firefox. Any clues?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Reinstall your desktop with

Code: Select all

# aptitude reinstall task-gnome-desktop
Then read this link:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=104157
deadbang

shinichisan

#5 Post by shinichisan »

Thank you very much! That did it! (I also had to reinstall xfce4 via the terminal). I've read the article thoroughly, very interesting indeed... I should have read it before trying to manage Debian like its Windows :lol: :lol:
Thank you very much, you saved me a lot of trouble. I wish I had known of this last time I had to reinstall for similar reasons :cry: :lol: :lol:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

shinichisan wrote:For what it's worth, I used the apt autoremove command when deleting firefox. Any clues?
Autoremove is not as auto as it pretends. Don't trust it implicitly, always double check what it proposes to do.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!