Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading from Stable to Testing

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
OnI6470

Upgrading from Stable to Testing

#1 Post by OnI6470 »

I have Debian Stretch stable on my machine but I want to upgrade it to Testing. I have read the wiki about how doing it and I think I got it, replacing the Stretch repositories with Buster or Testing, etc., but I have a doubt. I also have the repositories for Wine and VirtualBox as Stable, I have to change these too?, if I leave them like they are won't conflict with the other Testing repositories?. Any advice will be very appreciated

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Upgrading from Stable to Testing

#2 Post by Hallvor »

If you have to ask, it is probably not a good idea. ;)

Testing means... testing.
Last edited by Hallvor on 2018-02-20 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

If you have anything other than a standard installation it would be advisable to perform a fresh install and then make sure you can install and run all your required applications first, that way if you find some neeed packages have problems you can always stick with your original installation.

My personal experience makes me always perform a fresh install between releases as it usually ends up with a smoother transition, but like all things YMMV.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

Moving from Stable to Testing is not an upgrade...

...It's like moving from the Release Candidate to the Beta Version of the next release.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

If it's just a few programs that make you itch to upgrade, you might be able to find backported versions so you can stay on stable.
MX Linux packager and developer

OnI6470

#6 Post by OnI6470 »

Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with what I have. If later I break the system at least will have an excuse to reinstall with Testing from the beginning. Thanks for the advice!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

You could try Testing in a virtual machine or dual boot. I always keep a Stable system around for when Testing breaks. ;)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!