Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing samba support

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Eraserhead

Installing samba support

#1 Post by Eraserhead »

Hello. I am new to Debian.

I have been using Ubuntu for my PCs for a long time now, but as I now need to install servers, I am switching to Debian.

I just installed the latest stable version of Debian (so that's version 9) XFCE on an old desktop PC that I will use as a server to backup data.

But as a fresh install of Debian does not come with all the software that usually equips Ubuntu and its derivatives (which is not bad for this old PC), it seems it does not come with samba support installed.
When using Thunar and clicking 'browse network', I have an error ("Failed to open /on - the specified location is not supported").

Basically, the usage is quite simple : this server is installed on a local Windows network with a Windows server as the main server for the company. I want to be able to connect to the Windows shared folders to I can exchange large volumes of data.

I saw in Gnome software that there is Smb4K available but since I am using an XFCE environment, I wonder if that would be a wise choice.

Might somebody suggest a simple solution ?

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Installing samba support

#2 Post by None1975 »

Check this.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

Eraserhead wrote: I just installed the latest stable version of Debian (so that's version 9) XFCE
Last time I checked, thunar needs help with networks shares.
Install gvfs-backends and log out and back in.

Eraserhead

#4 Post by Eraserhead »

Hello.

Thanks !
Installing gvfs-backends helped indeed : now, when I click on 'Browse network', I can see the same networks as I see on another Linux machine (Ubuntu).

Still, when I double-click on 'Windows network', instead of seeing the Windows workgroups, I have an error : "Failed to retrieve shares list from server : no such file or directory". This does not happen on the Ubuntu machine, so I guess I still need to install or set up something.

Eraserhead

#5 Post by Eraserhead »

None1975 wrote:Check this.
I think I explained myself unclearly : as I am trying to access Windows shares on a Windows server, I believe it is the access with the samba client I need to set up, not a samba server.

Ardouos

#6 Post by Ardouos »

Ensure that your system has cifs installed.

You should be able to mount the share with:

Code: Select all

sudo mount.cifs //WindowsPC/INSERT-WINDOWS-SHARE-HERE /mnt/SHARE-DIRECTORY -o user=SHARE-USER
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Eraserhead

#7 Post by Eraserhead »

Hello.

Yes, cifs-utils was already installed, and the command mount.cifs works !

I still cannot browse the network using Thunar, though.
Any idea what's missing ?

Edit : I first had a failure with the command because I had typed it wrong.

Eraserhead

#8 Post by Eraserhead »

It worked, thanks !