Desktop to WM (fluxbox)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Desktop to WM (fluxbox)

Postby gel » 2018-03-02 17:34

Installed Debian 9 with Debian desktop, intending to immediately remove it and replace with fluxbox.
Ran
Code: Select all
root@a:/home/q# tasksel --list-tasks
i desktop       Debian desktop environment
u gnome-desktop GNOME
u xfce-desktop  Xfce
u kde-desktop   KDE
u cinnamon-desktop      Cinnamon
u mate-desktop  MATE
u lxde-desktop  LXDE
u web-server    web server
u print-server  print server
u ssh-server    SSH server
i laptop        laptop
root@a:/home/q# tasksel --task-packages desktop
task-desktop
root@a:/home/q# apt-get remove task-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  x11-apps x11-session-utils xinit xorg
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  task-desktop
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
After this operation, 6,144 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 108110 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing task-desktop (3.39) ...

Then I installed fluxbox and nodm and rebooted. Much to my surprise the only apparent difference is that I did not have to log in (from nodm). task-desktop has not been removed and still starts automatically on tty 7.
How should I get rid of this thing?
gel

Re: Desktop to WM (fluxbox)

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-03-02 20:24

You have removed the task but not the dependencies.

Is the GNOME desktop installed? There are several alternative recommended desktops for task-desktop but that is the default.

gel wrote:Installed Debian 9 with Debian desktop, intending to immediately remove it and replace with fluxbox

That's silly, why not just un-check the "desktop" task and install fluxbox & Xorg from a console-only box?
ESTRAGON: We always find something, eh, Didi, to give us the impression we exist?
VLADIMIR (impatiently): Yes, yes, we're magicians.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby gel » 2018-03-02 21:35

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You have removed the task but not the dependencies.
Subsequently I removed it with
Code: Select all
tasksel  remove desktop
which wiped out an enormous range of apps, including wicd and the entire X window system. I reinstalled xorg and wicd with apt-get and also the packages it recommended also installing, mostly -docs. On rebooting my little friend was back in place just as eager to be desktop as ever.

Is the GNOME desktop installed? There are several alternative recommended desktops for task-desktop but that is the default.
It sure is, see next paragraph.

gel wrote:Installed Debian 9 with Debian desktop, intending to immediately remove it and replace with fluxbox

That's silly, why not just un-check the "desktop" task and install fluxbox & Xorg from a console-only box?

I tried unchecking eveything desktoppish, including the debian desktop (the pre-checked default) on a previous install attempt with that very intention. I got Gnome.

On my first install attempt, I tried the smallest download (about 1 cd's worth), intending to do a net install from it. It made the basic install and exited. As my only internet connection is wifi, and wicd-curses was not included in the install, I could not proceed with it and switched to DVD-1 install.

I have 3 computers, one of which requires 32-bit, one either, and one only 64-bit. Since arch has abandoned 32-bit support, debian is the only distro I have found which can be installed on all three. Thus, despite my current state of frustration, I wish to persist with it.

Explicitly, what commands should I use to identify the active desktop, and to remove it utterly, completely, and forever?
gel

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-03-02 21:56

gel wrote:

I tried unchecking eveything desktoppish, including the debian desktop (the pre-checked default) on a previous install attempt with that very intention. I got Gnome.

Well then you must have done it wrong because I have used the stretch netinstall ISO to lay down a console-only system about 15-20 times, it works just fine and I never see a trace of GNOME anywhere.

my only internet connection is wifi, and wicd-curses was not included in the install, I could not proceed with it

wicd{,-curses} is pure bloat, use /etc/network/interfaces & ifupdown instead:

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#W ... d_WPA2-PSK
ESTRAGON: We always find something, eh, Didi, to give us the impression we exist?
VLADIMIR (impatiently): Yes, yes, we're magicians.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby gel » 2018-03-02 22:28

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
gel wrote:

Well then you must have done it wrong because I have used the stretch netinstall ISO to lay down a console-only system about 15-20 times, it works just fine and I never see a trace of GNOME anywhere.

my only internet connection is wifi, and wicd-curses was not included in the install, I could not proceed with it

wicd{,-curses} is pure bloat, use /etc/network/interfaces & ifupdown instead:

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#W ... d_WPA2-PSK

Thank you for your help. I had hoped that you would answer my question. As it is, I fear my lack of education will prevent my carrying out your suggestions.
gel

Postby debiman » 2018-03-04 10:00

are you sure you tried to install the netinst image, and not the regular?
the installer can be a bit counterintuitive, but does NOT require a degree in IT.
now that you know the options are there, why don't you try again and look a little closer?
debiman

Return to Beginners Questions