Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Desktop to WM (fluxbox)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
gel

Desktop to WM (fluxbox)

#1 Post by gel »

Installed Debian 9 with Debian desktop, intending to immediately remove it and replace with fluxbox.
Ran

Code: Select all

root@a:/home/q# tasksel --list-tasks
i desktop       Debian desktop environment
u gnome-desktop GNOME
u xfce-desktop  Xfce
u kde-desktop   KDE
u cinnamon-desktop      Cinnamon
u mate-desktop  MATE
u lxde-desktop  LXDE
u web-server    web server
u print-server  print server
u ssh-server    SSH server
i laptop        laptop
root@a:/home/q# tasksel --task-packages desktop
task-desktop
root@a:/home/q# apt-get remove task-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  x11-apps x11-session-utils xinit xorg
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  task-desktop
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
After this operation, 6,144 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 108110 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing task-desktop (3.39) ...
Then I installed fluxbox and nodm and rebooted. Much to my surprise the only apparent difference is that I did not have to log in (from nodm). task-desktop has not been removed and still starts automatically on tty 7.
How should I get rid of this thing?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Desktop to WM (fluxbox)

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You have removed the task but not the dependencies.

Is the GNOME desktop installed? There are several alternative recommended desktops for task-desktop but that is the default.
gel wrote:Installed Debian 9 with Debian desktop, intending to immediately remove it and replace with fluxbox
That's silly, why not just un-check the "desktop" task and install fluxbox & Xorg from a console-only box?
deadbang

gel

#3 Post by gel »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You have removed the task but not the dependencies.
Subsequently I removed it with

Code: Select all

tasksel  remove desktop
which wiped out an enormous range of apps, including wicd and the entire X window system. I reinstalled xorg and wicd with apt-get and also the packages it recommended also installing, mostly -docs. On rebooting my little friend was back in place just as eager to be desktop as ever.
Is the GNOME desktop installed? There are several alternative recommended desktops for task-desktop but that is the default.
It sure is, see next paragraph.
gel wrote:Installed Debian 9 with Debian desktop, intending to immediately remove it and replace with fluxbox
That's silly, why not just un-check the "desktop" task and install fluxbox & Xorg from a console-only box?
I tried unchecking eveything desktoppish, including the debian desktop (the pre-checked default) on a previous install attempt with that very intention. I got Gnome.

On my first install attempt, I tried the smallest download (about 1 cd's worth), intending to do a net install from it. It made the basic install and exited. As my only internet connection is wifi, and wicd-curses was not included in the install, I could not proceed with it and switched to DVD-1 install.

I have 3 computers, one of which requires 32-bit, one either, and one only 64-bit. Since arch has abandoned 32-bit support, debian is the only distro I have found which can be installed on all three. Thus, despite my current state of frustration, I wish to persist with it.

Explicitly, what commands should I use to identify the active desktop, and to remove it utterly, completely, and forever?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

gel wrote:
I tried unchecking eveything desktoppish, including the debian desktop (the pre-checked default) on a previous install attempt with that very intention. I got Gnome.
Well then you must have done it wrong because I have used the stretch netinstall ISO to lay down a console-only system about 15-20 times, it works just fine and I never see a trace of GNOME anywhere.
my only internet connection is wifi, and wicd-curses was not included in the install, I could not proceed with it
wicd{,-curses} is pure bloat, use /etc/network/interfaces & ifupdown instead:

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#W ... d_WPA2-PSK
deadbang

gel

#5 Post by gel »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
gel wrote:
Well then you must have done it wrong because I have used the stretch netinstall ISO to lay down a console-only system about 15-20 times, it works just fine and I never see a trace of GNOME anywhere.
my only internet connection is wifi, and wicd-curses was not included in the install, I could not proceed with it
wicd{,-curses} is pure bloat, use /etc/network/interfaces & ifupdown instead:

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#W ... d_WPA2-PSK
Thank you for your help. I had hoped that you would answer my question. As it is, I fear my lack of education will prevent my carrying out your suggestions.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

are you sure you tried to install the netinst image, and not the regular?
the installer can be a bit counterintuitive, but does NOT require a degree in IT.
now that you know the options are there, why don't you try again and look a little closer?