Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tasks # shown by top vs htop

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
J. Reis

Tasks # shown by top vs htop

#1 Post by J. Reis »

This is probably just a stupid, newbie failure to grasp some simple concept. But searching here, on forums.debian.net and the web generally didn't provide an explanation. So, in the interest of learning:

On my system (Debian Stable 9.3) the utilities, top and htop show a different number of Tasks. This is consistently the case for me. I have unchecked both the "hide threads" options in htop for good measure, though these do not affect the displayed number of tasks.

Presently top reports: Tasks: 256 total, 1 running, 255 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
htop reports: Tasks: 119, 644 thr; 137 kthr; 1 running

'ps -e | wc -l' shows 255 which matches the output from top, minus top's own process of course.

If someone more knowledgeable would be willing to explain exactly what htop is showing, so I can understand why it is different than the counts from other tools I'd be very grateful.