Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screen Dimming After A Few Minutes Despite Power Settings

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
debianOst

Screen Dimming After A Few Minutes Despite Power Settings

#1 Post by debianOst »

Hello all,

I am running Debian 9.4, and as the title says, cannot seem to read a page for a few minutes without the screen going dim on me. I've changed every power setting to "never" under the power settings system settings, yet it still dims. I've looked all around, but cannot seem to find how to turn off the dang dimmer lol (including searching here and on duckduckgo). System does this regardless if it's plugged into AC or not. Just goes a bit dimmer every time.

Thoughts? Will pay it forward myself. Not a Debian newbie, but this sure is making me feel like one lol.

bw123

Re: Screen Dimming After A Few Minutes Despite Power Setting

#2 Post by bw123 »

Maybe a search for the desktop environment you are using and the word 'dim' would help? It works correctly on stretch with KDE Plasma, I have it set to only dim when on battery.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debianOst

#3 Post by debianOst »

bw123 wrote:Maybe a search for the desktop environment you are using and the word 'dim' would help? It works correctly on stretch with KDE Plasma, I have it set to only dim when on battery.
I am currently using cinnamon. I looked through the search here with +cinnamon +dim and found nothing about the environment and the dimming. What I am currently using is the program "caffeine", but wonder why the power setting contains nothing about dimming? I would like to be able to control dimming without the use of a third party program, haha.

I will lay out the package for anyone interested in using it for their own PC, though you can find it yourself in the repository with a search in synaptic.

https://packages.debian.org/source/stretch/caffeine

I used the gdebi package installer for it.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

^ that is not the program you are looking for.
it must be possible to disable screen dimming from within cinnamon's menu.
have you tried power manager?

debianOst

#5 Post by debianOst »

debiman wrote:^ that is not the program you are looking for.
it must be possible to disable screen dimming from within cinnamon's menu.
have you tried power manager?
It seems to be working thus far. I use caffeine currently to prevent the dimming. Why would this program not be the one I am looking for? Open to any ideas.

Also yes, I have been into the power manager menu. There is no option for dimming, and I have all my available power management options set on never and do nothing.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

what do you refer to as "dimming"?
to me it means that the screen does not switch off, but gets just a little darker; something laptops often do to save battery.
i did not know caffeine did anything but prevent screen blanking, which means the screen going completely off, or black, or into screensaver mode.

so you always have to activate caffeine manually?

debianOst

#7 Post by debianOst »

debiman wrote:what do you refer to as "dimming"?
to me it means that the screen does not switch off, but gets just a little darker; something laptops often do to save battery.
i did not know caffeine did anything but prevent screen blanking, which means the screen going completely off, or black, or into screensaver mode.

so you always have to activate caffeine manually?
Sorry, I have missed this post. I have been away for some time and am still setting notifications. Still Debian user, still loving it.

When I refer to "dimming", I am referring to your definition. I acknowledge and agree with the definitions and differences between dimming and blanking. In this thread, I am addressing dimming. I have done everything I could to prevent dimming with the power settings, which are, unfortunately, more limited than Debian 8 on the GUI it would seem. Yet dimming still occurred

Caffeine does, indeed, prevent screen dimming. Ever since I have installed it, I have had zero issues with Debian 9 dimming. I need to activate it manually only if I disable it somehow for whatever reason. It can begin on its own after I turn the system on. There is an indicator if I want to use it on the panel, but I removed it as I never turn caffeine off.