Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Loop on boot

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Vitekk

Loop on boot

#1 Post by Vitekk »

After almost 5 hours of using a fresh installed debian (installing stuff, customizing etc) I restarted the machine and get a loop as is shown on gallery bellow:
https://imgur.com/a/KFnkZ
I have the first partition on the SSD for the Windows 10, (wihch can't boot either, see last pic) and the other one for the Debian.
I'm on my way to get a flash drive with linux live CD to see if I can do something with it, but I don't know what to do

PS: the first image i'ts a print screen of a video

Lysander

Re: Loop on boot

#2 Post by Lysander »

What exactly have you done here? How have you manged to lock yourself out of root?

Vitekk

#3 Post by Vitekk »

In the same day I installed Windows 10 on this SSD, then I installed Debian. The dual boot was perfect with Grub. everything was fine. I installed stuff for watch DVD, installed XFCE, and other smaller things I can`t remember exactly (the session had about 5 hours, saw on screenfetch) Then I normally turned it off, but forget to put some files to an flash drive, so I turn in on and realize the mess

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

looks like you accidentally installed grub to the usb installation medium, and not the first internal hard drive.

just reinstall grub:
  • boot any linux live distro
  • figure out whoch is the first internal hard drive
  • issue 'grub-install /dev/firstinternalharddrive'

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:
looks like you accidentally installed grub to the usb installation medium, and not the first internal hard drive.
If that was the case then why did the OP's system boot at all after installation?

@OP: please post the content of /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Check the Windows partition(s) and see if they still have stuff in them.
deadbang