Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Replacing Ubuntu - Will same partitions work?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
geobeck

Replacing Ubuntu - Will same partitions work?

#1 Post by geobeck »

I installed Ubuntu a few months ago. At the time I wanted something geared towards beginners, fairly automated, user-friendly, etc. But now I'm planning to replace Ubuntu with Debian. (Ubuntu keeps experiencing internal errors.)

Given that Ubuntu is Debian-based, should I change any partitions, or do any advanced setup? I used the default settings on my Ubuntu install on a 1 TB HD on an ASUS X555 laptop. Ubuntu detected everything automatically, so I'm guessing Debian will install just as smoothly.

Current partition scheme is 512 MB /dev/sda1 (FAT), 512 MB /dev/sda2 (Ext2, under half full), 999 GB /dev/sda3 (LVM2) divided into 991 GB root and 8.5 GB swap.

I've got Linux experience from a couple of previous installs (before software needs pushed me back to Windows), including Mandrake in 2005, Ubuntu in 2010, Lubuntu in 2011 (amazing what you can do with a 10 year old laptop), and Ubuntu within the last few months. I've used the command line when necessary, but I'm lazy enough to prefer graphical tools.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

pawRoot

Re: Replacing Ubuntu - Will same partitions work?

#2 Post by pawRoot »

Partitioning works the same in Debian.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

geobeck wrote: Ubuntu detected everything automatically, so I'm guessing Debian will install just as smoothly.
Partitioning is the same, but be aware that Ubuntu ships with some non-free firmware that may need to be installed separately for Debian. This can particularly affect wifi which may not be available during installation. Some other hardware may require firmware such as graphics and CPUs.
There is an install image with non-free firmware available if you know you may need it. Easily found with a web search.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

geobeck

#5 Post by geobeck »

I guess I should have checked back here before doing my installation. It took a bit of monkeying around to get the right Broadcom drivers working. But the result is a nice, lean system where my fan isn't running nearly as much as it was under Ubuntu.

Thanks for everyone's help.