Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Completely Removing Windows - EFI

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Completely Removing Windows - EFI

#16 Post by p.H »

Using legacy boot was not a wrong advice. In my experience, UEFI boot has been so far more troublesome than useful. The only situation where it provides a real benefit is multiboot with other operating systems such as Windows or distributions. I have yet to see another situation where UEFI provides a real benefit. Handling of > 2 TiB drives ? No : GPT is compatible with legacy BIOS and BIOS can handle much more than 2 TiB. I have read that UEFI mode may be required to boot from NVMe, but I suspect this is because motherboard manufacturers do not bother to implement NVMe support in legacy mode.

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

There may be an additional step needed with GPT and CSM boot (aka legacy boot), depending how poorly written the firmware is. You may need to create a protective MBR in addition to GPT and set the bootable flag. This procedure is not destructive, although as always, have a backup of your data.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by p.H »

The protective MBR is part of the GPT format and already exists, but indeed some broken BIOS or UEFI firmwares require to activate the boot flag on the protective GPT partition.

Segfault

#19 Post by Segfault »

The protective MBR is part of the GPT format and already exists
I have seen GPT without protective MBR, perhaps not all partitioning tools comply.