Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

4.15 kernel backports for stretch?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Werks

4.15 kernel backports for stretch?

#1 Post by Werks »

I'm using 4.14 right now, is there a 4.15 available or at least in the works?

Bulkley

Re: 4.15 kernel backports for stretch?

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Werks wrote: . . . is there a 4.15 available or at least in the works?
Yes, at Liquorix.
Liquorix is a distro kernel replacement built using the best configuration and kernel sources for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads.
I like Liquorix kernels because they are easy to install and easy to remove if I don't like.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Up to the very last release, the headers for the Liquorix kernels required gcc-7, which is not in Stretch, but now they just require gcc. This means you can now install the headers from the main Liquorix repo on Stretch instead of using my OBS backports repo for them. I'll be interested on how the main repo ones work on Stretch, since those are still going to be compiled with sid's gcc-7.

MX 17.1 shipped with an backported upstream Debian 4.15.4 kernel, courtesy of yours truly :D, and the MX 17 test repository also has the latest 4.15.11 kernel backported from upstream Debian. Aside from making the changes needed to make them work with gcc-6 instead of gcc-7, I changed the kernel context switch frequency from 250 to 1000 Hz, which is supposed to be a better tuning for desktop vs. server use.

We also had to backport some other dkms programs to get them to build on the 4.15 kernel, such as Virtual Box, but we got those all sorted out in the main MX 17 repo. Just keep those in mind if you need one and you get a build failure. You need the 384.111 nvidia-drivers from stretch-backports for the 4.15 kernel, for example, if you use those.

I expect to have to go through the process again when backporting a 4.16 kernel.
MX Linux packager and developer

Werks

#4 Post by Werks »

Nice, thanks guys!