Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to Activate Newly Installed DE [Solved]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
llewellen

How to Activate Newly Installed DE [Solved]

#1 Post by llewellen »

I installed standard 9.4.0 with Gnome and now want to change to Budgie DE. Found it in Synaptic, went through the prescribed steps and clicked Apply. No error messages and I can see the various Budgie files sitting in /usr/lib/ but the desktop has not changed, even after a restart, How to get Budgie installed as my DE? Thank you.
Last edited by llewellen on 2018-04-11 04:54, edited 1 time in total.

kopper

Re: Run Installed Package

#2 Post by kopper »

went through the prescribed steps and clicked Apply
Knowing which steps you went through would help. Or does that only mean "I selected Budgie from Synaptic and clicked Apply"?

It sounds that you got budgie installed, but don't know how to start using it. Without knowing what display manager you have, you can usually choose used desktop environment in login screen. At least gdm (You probably have this one) and lightdm should have that option. So log out / restart, look for a drop-down menu in login screen, select Budgie DE and log in.

If I have misunderstood your question, please provide more details.

EDIT: You should change the topic to something like "activating newly installed desktop environment". You don't run installed packages. You install packages which includes software, then you run software.
Debian 12 Stable with sway
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

llewellen

#3 Post by llewellen »

Synaptic:
- search budgie
-click to select budgie-desktop
-click to Apply
- review summary of files to be installed and click Applyi
- popup window saying changes being applied, running dpkg
- popup window saying Changes Applied - successfully applied all changes
- close

A search for display manager in the Gnome search on the desktop returned "Display Profile Manager" in the GNOME shell extension. Click on that and returns "Could not find display-profile-manager"
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

llewellen

#4 Post by llewellen »

Re-installed GDM3 in Synaptic. Where is it?
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

kopper

#5 Post by kopper »

llewellen wrote:Re-installed GDM3 in Synaptic.
Why?
A search for display manager in the Gnome search on the desktop returned "Display Profile Manager"
Gnome Display Profile Manager has nothing to do with changing your desktop environment to Budgie. It's an extension to Gnome which allows you to create different configuration profiles for multiple displays / monitors. Stop spraying and praying.
So log out / restart, look for a drop-down menu in login screen, select Budgie DE and log in.
Either you didn't try this or it's not working for you. Which one is it?

llewellen

#6 Post by llewellen »

I had automatic login turned on. I turned it off, shutdown and restarted. The login window did not show any drop down menu.

llewellen

#7 Post by llewellen »

Sorry. I overlooked a tiny gear icon beside the Sign In button. Clicked that and did get the drop down menu and selected Budgie. Thanks for your help.

kopper

#8 Post by kopper »

Great that it worked for you.

Could you help other users with similar problems, and rename the topic to something more appropriate (see my suggestion abobe) and mark it solved? :)

llewellen

Re: How to Activate Newly Installed DE [Solved]

#9 Post by llewellen »

Edits done. Thanks again for your help.