Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Edit Read Only File [Solved}

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
llewellen

Edit Read Only File [Solved}

#1 Post by llewellen »

For some reason my /etc/apt/sources.list file still has a line pointing to the installation DVD (usb). It has one such line commented out with # but still has another identical one remaining. I want to remove the remaining line or comment it out but the file is read only and denies me permission to make changes. How to edit?

BTW the sources. list file also has two lines pointing to mirrors, which will remain.

Thank you.
Last edited by llewellen on 2018-04-11 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Edit Read Only File

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

You need to be root to edit system files.

Open a terminal, su with root password and

Code: Select all

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
ctrl + o writes
ctrl + x exits nano
update apt

apt update
we are done

exit

llewellen

Re: Edit Read Only File

#3 Post by llewellen »

I ran gedit as root and commented out the offending line, saved the changes. Then a long list of Warnings were returned in the terminal. Hmmm. However, Synaptic then ran perfectly OK and installed the packages I selected. Sorry but I didn't save all the text that was returned in terminal.
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope