Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to install software

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bw123

Re: Unable to install software

#16 Post by bw123 »

arg22 wrote:thanks for your reply, not sure what you mean with edit the output. if iam making a mistake please tell me, i open with sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list, edit the file and use ctrl-O to save, then enter and ctrl-X to exit
sunrat asked for the complete output of apt update and your output didn't show any repos being contacted.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

arg22

#17 Post by arg22 »

the outputs i posted are the complete outputs from the shell

arg22

#18 Post by arg22 »

thank you all for your help, just finished installing chrome, and pip3. Just to say i ve tried almost everything i could read, so i re installed debian with the small iso and then asked to pick a repository to download packaged, i tested the suggestions (picked a localone from a nearby college) and it worked. the first time i installed debian used a broken mirror. So thanks for your help

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by sunrat »

You had 3 problems:
- first you had incorrect repo
- then you had incorrect sources.list entry
- then apt wasn't updating properly. As bw123 said, it should output a list of repos contacted.

You didn't solve the problem but got a working system by reinstalling. Hopefully all is good for you now! :)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!