Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Two issues with Debian XFCE install on Thinkpadt420

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Nicholas727

Two issues with Debian XFCE install on Thinkpadt420

#1 Post by Nicholas727 »

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and to Linux and have two issues with Debian 9.4 Stretch XFCE installed on my Thinkpad T420. I use a dock which seems to cause issues.

External screen
When I dock my T420 I would like the laptop screen to turn off and to use the external screen only. This was the default set up under Ubuntu. The problem I have is that it turns the laptop screen on by default and forces me to log in via the laptop screen. As a result, if I dock it with the laptop shut I simply can't use it as I need to log in with the laptop then manually change my screen settings to use the external screen only.

Is there some way I can configure Debian to automatically use the external screen only when docked?

Networking issues
My t420 when undocked uses a Wifi connection. When it is docked it uses Ethernet. I would like it to automatically swap to ethernet when docked, it doesn't at the moment. The other issue I have is that when it suspends and I resume the system the internet stops working. I have to disconnect the Wifi/Ethernet connection then reconnect for it to start working again. Sometimes it randomly swaps from Wifi to Ethernet and vice versa, which also causes it to stop working. These issues are hard to describe but very annoying.

Any help I can be given would be much appreciated! I'm loving Debian other than these two problems I'm having.

Nicholas727

Re: Two issues with Debian XFCE install on Thinkpadt420

#2 Post by Nicholas727 »

Another question I had is that each time the computer suspends I need to enter my full username and password. Can it be configured so that I only need to enter my password?

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

Nicholas727 wrote: Can it be configured so that I only need to enter my password?
Yes. By default, LightDM is configured so that the user should enter login name and password. Login name is considered sensitive information. It is possible to provide the user with selection of available user accounts. The most recently used login name will be selected in the list. The user still has to enter password to login. This provides useful compromise between security and convenience for a single-user desktop system.
To enable user list, place the following settings into /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_my.conf:

Code: Select all

[Seat:*]
greeter-hide-users=false
Source
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Nicholas727

#4 Post by Nicholas727 »

None1975 wrote:
Nicholas727 wrote: Can it be configured so that I only need to enter my password?
Yes. By default, LightDM is configured so that the user should enter login name and password. Login name is considered sensitive information. It is possible to provide the user with selection of available user accounts. The most recently used login name will be selected in the list. The user still has to enter password to login. This provides useful compromise between security and convenience for a single-user desktop system.
To enable user list, place the following settings into /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_my.conf:

Code: Select all

[Seat:*]
greeter-hide-users=false
Source
Thanks for the help! That worked. Do you have any ideas on the other two issues I am experiencing?

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

Nicholas727 wrote:Thanks for the help! That worked. Do you have any ideas on the other two issues I am experiencing?
You are welcome. Forgive me, because of your other troubles, I can not help anything, because i don’t use external screens and i don’t use wifi.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

both issues are related to the dock you're using.
i ahve never used sth like that, but i remember that it required some fiddling to get it to work.
i suggest you start forming search phrases to help you find what you need, maybe:
"linux thinkpad dock external screen"
or
"debian laptop dock switch network interface"
etc.

Nicholas727

#7 Post by Nicholas727 »

For anyone who comes across the thread, I solved the issue by uninstalling XFCE and installing GNOME. GNOME configures the screen as I when I dock/undock the laptop. It also uses the ethernet while docked and automatically reverts to the WIFI when undocked by default, as I wanted. I think if you are using a docking system then you are better off with a more fully featured DE.