Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A Problem with Nvidia card

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
franczessko

A Problem with Nvidia card

#1 Post by franczessko »

Welcome

It's my first post so I would like to say Hello to everyone 8)

When I type "nvidia-detect" I get this result :

Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:1c8d] (rev a1)

Checking card: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1c8d (rev a1)
Your card is supported by the default drivers.
It is recommended to install the
nvidia-driver

I think it does not see my nvidia card, I have a gaming laptop Dell Inspiron 15, graphic card GTX 1050, internal card Nvidia 630
I have no idea how to solve this

Thanks

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Problem with Nvidia card

#2 Post by sunrat »

franczessko wrote:I think it does not see my nvidia card, I have a gaming laptop Dell Inspiron 15, graphic card GTX 1050, internal card Nvidia 630
I have no idea how to solve this
Did you do some searching? This is a common problem. And your internal card is probably not Nvidia but Intel 630. It's known as Optimus dual graphics and needs Bumblebee to be set up.
Did you install nvidia-driver package? If so purge that first and remove the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists.

Then go to https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee and follow instructions exactly.

You may need to set up a module building environment first:

Code: Select all

apt install module-assistant
m-a prepare
As this is a fairly new laptop it would probably be best to install a more recent kernel from backports and firmware such as firmware-misc-nonfree.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

nameispalmer

Re: A Problem with Nvidia card

#3 Post by nameispalmer »

In addition to the answer given above read this one as well https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/Optimus This is a real common problem indeed, I faced so too, but it would seem to be hard for you if you had zero experience with Linux before.