Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

problems after upgrading jessie

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
aldelafu

problems after upgrading jessie

#1 Post by aldelafu »

hi all
Yesterday I've upgraded my jessie in an acer laptop with windows dual boot, and added the non-free repositories because it was a problem with the fg3 module that wasn’t installed. Now the system is not working at all.
I've looked at the journalctl and it appears a problem with the plymouth: file not found. However, in google I've noticed that the plymouth problems are not really the main issue, and they recommend to look into the fstab. I did it, by switching off everything that is unnecessary, and I'm still having the problem. Actually, in the recue mode I’m able to enter to my home, see my files, and even run programs without any problem (eg python).
In concrete, once I do a normal boot (not the recovery mode), debian freezes right after the text login appears, when it should start the graphical mode (kde in my case). Without any explanation.
Any suggestion?, this is the second laptop with dual boot whose debian stop working after upgrading Jessie.
Thanks

bw123

Re: problems after upgrading jessie

#2 Post by bw123 »

...Any suggestion?
Upgrading jessie to stretch? Did you make a backup?
...this is the second laptop with dual boot whose debian stop working after upgrading Jessie.
Be sure and follow the release notes, it seems pretty well documented.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... ase-notes/

If you upgraded kde from jessie to stretch, the switch to sddm instead of kdm might be an issue. Some people decided to purge sddm and use lightdm instead.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Bulkley

Re: problems after upgrading jessie

#3 Post by Bulkley »

"Any suggestion?" Save the important stuff on another drive, format the drive, install the stable version of whichever OS you like.