Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Error: Unknown Filesystem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Rimuilu

Error: Unknown Filesystem

#1 Post by Rimuilu »

I want to uninstall debian9 on my PC and reinstall Windows. This is not a dual-boot system. I was only running debian9. I deleted both partitions (ext4 & swap) leaving only free space via the installation media after which I plugged the Win10 bootable USB into the port and rebooted the PC. I get the following error:

Press any key to boot from USB.....error: Unknown Filesystem
Rescue Mode:

I understand that I deleted the grub and that it is not reading the USB. I would like to install Windows, but I don't want a dual boot. Additionally, I created a new partition and assigned a FAT32 Filesystem (Via the debian installation media) thinking that it might resolve the issue, but it did not. Thank you in advance for any help. If I posted in the wrong place I'll move the post.

Thanks,

rimuilu

1byte

Re: Error: Unknown Filesystem

#2 Post by 1byte »

What PC make/model is it?
How is the HDD connected inside the PC?

How exactly did you delete the partitions?
Did you save the changes?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

Can you confirm that the exact text printed on the screen is "Rescue Mode:", not "grub rescue>" ?
Boot without the USB drive. If the same happens, it means that you were booting from the disk, not the USB drive.

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

I am having the same problem with this:
ASUS Gaming Laptop FX73VE-WH71 17.3"
Intel Core i7,8GB
DDR4
1TB HDD
I bought it from this guy at the bus station. But it had some kind of Linux, I think it said Debian. Any way I couldn't install and play any of my games, so I formatted it with a Dos boot, repair usb stick. So anyway now I am trying to install Windows 10, but it says the same thing:
Unknown Filesystem, and it can not install. I hope this Linux did not brick the Laptop, but it seems like it did, How can I install Windows 10 to my laptop ?
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

pcalvert

#5 Post by pcalvert »

What I would do is boot from a live CD that has GParted. Then I would use GParted to create two primary partitions and format them as FAT32. The first partition I would make 500 MB in size. For the second partition I would use the remainder of the disk space.

Optional (but desirable): Create a third partition and use it as a backup/data partition. This is only feasible if the HDD is fairly large, such as 200 GB or more.

After booting with the Windows 10 installation media, I believe that you will be able to select those partitions that you created and format them as NTFS. I would do that because the installer may refuse to install Windows if you don't.

NOTE: If there is an EFI partition, leave it alone unless you are absolutely sure that you know what you are doing.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Rimuilu

#6 Post by Rimuilu »

p.H wrote:Can you confirm that the exact text printed on the screen is "Rescue Mode:", not "grub rescue>" ?
Boot without the USB drive. If the same happens, it means that you were booting from the disk, not the USB drive.
I was going to include photos of the screen, but I keep getting a server error when I try to add the file.

I tried to reboot with the pen drive in just to be sure. This is what comes up when I restart the PC with the windows pen drive plugged in:

Press key to boot from USB.....error: unknown filesystem.
Rescue mode...

The second is what comes up if I just power on the PC.

Unknown filesystem.
Rescue mode...
If I plug in the pen drive that has debian installed, I have no problem installing debian.

Rimuilu

#7 Post by Rimuilu »

pcalvert wrote:What I would do is boot from a live CD that has GParted. Then I would use GParted to create two primary partitions and format them as FAT32. The first partition I would make 500 MB in size. For the second partition I would use the remainder of the disk space.

Optional (but desirable): Create a third partition and use it as a backup/data partition. This is only feasible if the HDD is fairly large, such as 200 GB or more.

After booting with the Windows 10 installation media, I believe that you will be able to select those partitions that you created and format them as NTFS. I would do that because the installer may refuse to install Windows if you don't.

NOTE: If there is an EFI partition, leave it alone unless you are absolutely sure that you know what you are doing.

Phil

The debian that I have does not have a live option. It's a simple install from boot. I can install Mint or Ubuntu and use the live option to install gparted and try that. Would that work just as well?

Rimuilu

#8 Post by Rimuilu »

1byte wrote:What PC make/model is it?
How is the HDD connected inside the PC?

How exactly did you delete the partitions?
Did you save the changes?
The PC is Dell Optiplex 780. Bought it second hand and then cannibalized other PCs for parts. It is connected via SATA. I didn't save anything as there was nothing to save. I was just messing around with it because I don't know much about Linux. I deleted the partitions via the debian graphical install. I went through all the initial install steps then chose to use the entire disk for partition. When it showed that I had an ext4 and a swap I selected each partition and then selected delete which then gave me all free space. My thought was that now having free space I would be able to plug in the Windows drive and boot from it without issue and windows would create the needed partitions. An obvious fail. :?

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by NFT5 »

First check that your USB with Windows on it is ok. Do this by plugging in to another computer and booting from the USB. If it starts ok then no need to proceed with the installation, but, if it doesn't then you'll need another USB with Windows on it.

If the USB started ok in the other computer then boot the problem machine with a Live disk and use GParted to create a new partition table on your HDD. No need to create partitions - Windows can do that as it needs. Then reboot with your Windows USB and proceed with the installation.

pcalvert

#10 Post by pcalvert »

Rimuilu wrote: The debian that I have does not have a live option. It's a simple install from boot. I can install Mint or Ubuntu and use the live option to install gparted and try that. Would that work just as well?
I recommend using a live CD like Refracta or SystemRescueCD.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by p.H »

If you get the following :

Code: Select all

error: Unknown Filesystem
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>
This is from the part of GRUB (default Debian bootloader) remaining on the hard disk after you deleted the partitions.
If you get the same messages with and without the Windows USB drive, then the PC is not booting from the USB drive. Something may be wrong with it. As already asked, did you test it with another PC ?
Anyway, the inability to start the Windows installer has nothing to do with the former Debian installation. It is not a Debian problem.

Now about the prompt

Code: Select all

Press any key to boot from USB
This is not from GRUB. It may be either from the BIOS or the USB drive. It reminds me of a similar prompt displayed when booting from a Windows installation CD or DVD (never installed Windows from a USB drive).
Do you also get the prompt when booting from the Debian USB drive ? If yes, it is from the BIOS. If no, it is from the Windows USB drive, which means that somehow the BIOS manages to boot from it.
Do you press any key when prompted to do so ?

Rimuilu

#12 Post by Rimuilu »

Thank you all for your help. I ended up creating a new partition table and then created new partitions of the needed sizes which left free space. From there I installed Windows. How can I mark this as solved?

arzgi

#13 Post by arzgi »

Rimuilu wrote:Thank you all for your help. I ended up creating a new partition table and then created new partitions of the needed sizes which left free space. From there I installed Windows. How can I mark this as solved?
Just edit the header of your first post in thread.