Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sudo command not found

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Mynamajeffisntfunny

sudo command not found

#1 Post by Mynamajeffisntfunny »

I have been using debian for a couple months now, although not super actively, but this is a new problem. I was trying to install higan with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libpulse-dev     mesa-common-dev libgtksourceview2.0-dev libcairo2-dev libsdl1.2-dev     libxv-dev libao-dev libopenal-dev libudev-dev
but I got an error message

bash: sudo: command not found
. I tried to just run sudo by itself and got the same message. I looked it up and it appears to be a problem with some distros not shipping with sudo but I could not find anything about it just disappearing. I had a power outage last night so not sure if that is related. Seems pretty unlikely to me but that was the only thing I have really done recently besides download a couple thousand gba games. This is on Deb 9.4 and my kernel is 4.9.0-6 if that helps. Help would be appreciated to get this working.

dcihon

Re: sudo command not found

#2 Post by dcihon »

apt policy sudo

Mynamajeffisntfunny

#3 Post by Mynamajeffisntfunny »

dcihon wrote:

apt policy sudo

apt policy sudo
sudo:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.8.19p1-2.1
  Version table:
     1.8.19p1-2.1 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

By default Debian does not use sudo.

You can become Root by issuing the command

su
You can install sudo and configure it it you want to.

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Was just about to post the same.
When you installed Debian, you have specified root and user password. If you had ommited root password then, sudo would be auto-enabled for your normal user.

Mynamajeffisntfunny

#6 Post by Mynamajeffisntfunny »

When I try su it says

su: Authentication failure
even though I know that is my password as I have used it a hundred times with sudo before it disappeared today.

golinux

#7 Post by golinux »

root password and user password are not the same (or shouldn't be). You would have had to select both a root and user pwd during install.
May the FORK be with you!

Mynamajeffisntfunny

#8 Post by Mynamajeffisntfunny »

Well, they are somehow. Is the install not supposed to let me do that? It was a long time ago so I forget. Anyway, I'm not worried about threats from other people if that is the worry about same password.

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I figure there is something you aren't telling us. When did it happen that you can't use sudo? What did you do? Was it after an upgrade?
Mynamajeffisntfunny wrote: but that was the only thing I have really done recently besides download a couple thousand gba games.
Mynamajeffisntfunny wrote:I had a power outage last night so not sure if that is related.
One of those might be related.
they are somehow
Define "somehow".

Mynamajeffisntfunny

#10 Post by Mynamajeffisntfunny »

I figure there is something you aren't telling us.
I'm not sure what it would be that I am missing on giving you as far as information, but if you can specify something then I will be happy to provide info.

When did it happen that you can't use sudo? What did you do? Was it after an upgrade?
It stopped working just this morning. I have not upgraded or installed any software recently. To elaborate, the games were part of a megapack I found online in the form of a torrent. It had a hundred or so seeders and all the files were zipped. I could download the software on my windows partition to test the files if you would like.

Define somehow
Not sure what you mean by this, I installed deb a while back through gui. It was my first time installing a distro so I wouldn't have been messing with advanced settings or anything.

Wheelerof4te

#11 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Mynamajeffisntfunny wrote:I have not upgraded or installed any software recently. To elaborate, the games were part of a megapack I found online in the form of a torrent.
Mynamajeffisntfunny wrote:I installed deb a while back through gui.
Installing software outside of Debian's repositories is not recommended practice for new users, since it can mess with your system. See:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
and
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStability

If you need or use Chrome, Chromium is an open-source version available in the repos. Also, see the discussion as to why Debian is not friendly to new users in my sig. You might want to start with easier distro like Ubuntu, and you will need to get rid of old Windows habits.

RedPieDad

#12 Post by RedPieDad »

Mynamajeffisntfunny wrote:I have been using debian for a couple months now, although not super actively, but this is a new problem. I was trying to install higan with

sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libpulse-dev     mesa-common-dev libgtksourceview2.0-dev libcairo2-dev libsdl1.2-dev     libxv-dev libao-dev libopenal-dev libudev-dev
but I got an error message

bash: sudo: command not found

I had a power outage last night so not sure if that is related. Seems pretty unlikely to me but that was the only thing I have really done recently besides download a couple thousand gba games. This is on Deb 9.4 and my kernel is 4.9.0-6 if that helps. Help would be appreciated to get this working.

Have you tried checking

echo "$PATH"

Mynamajeffisntfunny

#13 Post by Mynamajeffisntfunny »

Installing software outside of Debian's repositories is not recommended practice for new users, since it can mess with your system.
Alright I will try to avoid this in the future, thank you for notifying me.
If you need or use Chrome, Chromium is an open-source version available in the repos. Also, see the discussion as to why Debian is not friendly to new users in my sig. You might want to start with easier distro like Ubuntu, and you will need to get rid of old Windows habits.
I use firefox so that shouldn't be a problem. As for starting with an easier distro, I read through the linked post and I am going to stick with debian. I don't have anything important stored on here in the case of me doing something stupid and nuking this. I am almost always able to figure out promlems with the help of a search engine. Honestly if I unfixable messed something up I would be fine with it, just an opportunity to start over and try something new. I will however keep in mind what you have said.

Mynamajeffisntfunny

#14 Post by Mynamajeffisntfunny »

echo "$PATH" out put is

echo "$PATH"
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/snap/bin
Assuming this shouldn't be going through games?

debiman

#15 Post by debiman »

you can boot into recovery and set new passwords for both root and user.
but i agree, something's fishy. nevermind, just be more careful in the future, and heed the advice given here, even if it's in a pretty arrogant manner sometimes.