Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't Install .deb Package

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pcalvert

Re: Can't Install .deb Package

#16 Post by pcalvert »

There's a cherrytree package in Debian Sid.

This tutorial may be helpful:
Howto: Set up and Maintain a Mixed Testing/Unstable System

Since the tutorial is quite old, some adjustments will be necessary.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

llewellen

#17 Post by llewellen »

@pcalvert: Yes Cherrytree is in Sid and also in Stretch but for some reason it doesn't show up in the package list for testing.

Thank you for the "how to" link on mixed testing/unstable systems. Since I'm a neophyte, I will have to re-read it a few times to absorb it but it does look like something that will be very useful for me. Unfortunately, Vivaldi browser is not in any of the debian package lists, not even in unstable.

Wheelerof4te

#18 Post by Wheelerof4te »

llewellen wrote:Unfortunately, Vivaldi browser is not in any of the debian package lists, not even in unstable.
For the same reason Google Chrome or Opera Browser aren't: licence.

llewellen

#19 Post by llewellen »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
llewellen wrote:Unfortunately, Vivaldi browser is not in any of the debian package lists, not even in unstable.
For the same reason Google Chrome or Opera Browser aren't: licence.
I understand that. I thought it might show up in the "non-free" listing.
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

Debian's usual policy is that if they can't build something like a browser from source, they won't have it in the repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

L_V

#21 Post by L_V »

Stretch and SID provide Cherrytree 37.6-1, although the deb package proposed @ http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/ is cherrytree_0.38.5-0_all.deb which cannot be installed in testing/SID due to pygtk dependency problems:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/cherrytree

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

So it's not really a Cherrytree issue; it comes down to as why that python dependency is no longer in testing. Usually Debian has good reasons for that, such as when they remove the unsupported Qt 3 libraries and packages.
MX Linux packager and developer