Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Could I install Debian in a secondary disk?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
oscpintob

Could I install Debian in a secondary disk?

#1 Post by oscpintob »

Hi:
I have the following question.
I have an Alienware 15R3 with a 120 GB SSD Disk and another 1TB HDD disk. Nowadays, I am using the SSD disk for Windows and in the other disk (HDD) all the files, programs and blah blah blah.
Now, I want to install Debian and I will wished it to install on the HDD disk due to space but I am not sure if this is possible.
So, Can I install Debian on the HDD disk? or only is it possible installed in the SDD Disk?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Could I install Debian in a secondary disk?

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

oscpintob wrote: So, Can I install Debian on the HDD disk?
Yes, free up some space on it first then when installing Debian, point it to the empty space you created earlier.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

Do you mean that the SSD contains only the Windows operating system and the HDD contains all the extra programs and data files ? What a waste. Frequently used programs and data files would also benefit from the SSD speed.

Debian can be installed on the HDD, but why not installing it on the SSD to also benefit from its speed ?

oscpintob

#4 Post by oscpintob »

oscpintob wrote:Hi:
I have the following question.
I have an Alienware 15R3 with a 120 GB SSD Disk and another 1TB HDD disk. Nowadays, I am using the SSD disk for Windows and in the other disk (HDD) all the files, programs and blah blah blah.
Now, I want to install Debian and I will wished it to install on the HDD disk due to space but I am not sure if this is possible.
So, Can I install Debian on the HDD disk? or only is it possible installed in the SDD Disk?
I have not enough space on the SSD disk. It is only 120 GB and now I could get a free space of 20 GB. Almost all the space is used for Windows. I will evaluate if I install a bigger extra SSD (256 or 512 GB) in the future but now I want to install in the HDD and evaluate the change to Debian. It is my firs time on GNU/Linux system so I am a little lost.

oscpintob

#5 Post by oscpintob »

Hi:
I have installed Debian on my HDD disk without problems. I have followed the instructions reggarding the desactivation of my BIOS (apparently is not BIOS but UEFI) according with (1) and the installation of Debian via USB stick. I have installed Debian 9.0 with Gnome and I can have to access to Debian and now I am learning about the system. Almost all OK but I have a problem.
At the moment the turn on the laptop, my BIOS setitngs are "SATA operation -> AHCI" (default is RAID on) and the secure boot is "disabled". On this way, I could to access to Debian but not to Windows. If I change both BIOS Settings, I could not to access to Debian and Windows request a restart operation for system reconfiguration and this stuff but after a moment I can access to Windows.
I have been searching a way for avoid this complication to start the SOes and I find rEFInd but I am not shure if it is a good idea install it on my case given that the SOes are in different disks.
Is it a problem or not.?

PD: At the moment of install Debian I was not possible install GRUB on the SSD disk, I do not know why.

1: https://medium.com/@FloodSung/tutorial- ... cd1dc7eb3c