Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

use apt-get update to upgrade

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
smily01

use apt-get update to upgrade

#1 Post by smily01 »

Hello,

Recently I changed from linux mint/ubuntu to Debian Stretch Cinnamon. Now I’ve got a question. With Ubuntu (Unity)/Linux mint (Cinnamon) I get a sign from an icon that I have to upgrade my system. With Cinnamon I use gnome-packagekit with pk-update-icon.

Now I have to use apt-get update to update the repositories otherwise I cannot upgrade Debian. Is this normal? Can I change this by updating the repositories each day without using the command line? How can I do this?

I thank you for your answer!

Lysander

Re: use apt-get update to upgrade

#2 Post by Lysander »

smily01 wrote:I get a sign from an icon that I have to upgrade my system
Your whole system? Do you mean update your packages or perform a dist upgrade? I think you mean the former.
smily01 wrote:Now I have to use apt-get update to update the repositories
You're not updating your repos. Repos are where you get your packages and updates from. You're updating your own local packages.
smily01 wrote:Is this normal?
Yes.
smily01 wrote:Can I change this by updating the repositories each day without using the command line? How can I do this?
Again, you are not updating the repos but your local packages. If you are using Debian I would get into the habit of using the command line, don't be scared of it and don't try to fall back on GUIs. Updating is as simple as:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
then if software is available

sudo apt upgrade
You can also search for packages you want via

apt-cache search <package>
for a list or

apt-cache show <package>
for a detailed breakdown of your chosen package.

To answer your main question your DE should notify you when there are updates. However, I wouldn't rely on that and would just get into the habit of manually running sudo apt update every day. It takes about ten seconds.

I would also get into the habit of reading the Debian Wiki. It will answer a lot of your questions.

smily01

#3 Post by smily01 »

Thanks for your answer!

I want ton update my whole system; update my packages with security updates. I'm familiar with the apt-get commands. Can't I use crontab or anacron?

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

smily01 wrote: Can't I use crontab or anacron?
Hello. Check this and this.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Your first link tells aptitude is the main method of upgrading. It is not, that's outdated info.
Stick to the Lysander's commands. Learning apt isn't that hard, and for Stable you need to know maybe three to four commands in total.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

smily01 wrote:Thanks for your answer!

I want ton update my whole system; update my packages with security updates. I'm familiar with the apt-get commands. Can't I use crontab or anacron?
Yes, you can. You can also set up unattended-upgrades if you want to risk one of those being a bad upgrade, though odds are very very low for that.
MX Linux packager and developer

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

stevepusser wrote:
[...] though odds are very very low for that.
I don't mean to be a ****, but low odds mean high probability. ;)

Smily01: Installing unattended-upgrades is the easiest. Security upgrades will be installed in the background, and the risk of something going wrong is very low.

apt install unattended upgrades
After that, you may need to:

dpkg-reconfigure -plow unattended-upgrades
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

smily01

#9 Post by smily01 »

Thank you for your advice!!!!!