Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Possiblle issue with my Debian 9.4.0.6 in my Dell XPS15 9550

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ColombianBootloader

Possiblle issue with my Debian 9.4.0.6 in my Dell XPS15 9550

#1 Post by ColombianBootloader »

Good Morning,

I freaked out today when I turned my dell on and, after a few seconds nothing was shown (black screen). I then decided to do the following:

* Re start laptop in "Linux 4.9.0.6 amd64 recovery mode". OK to log on to the system, though not sure what to do after, no experience with an issue like this before.
* Execute hardware system check (using Dell app, just after laptop start up). No issues with RAM or any other hardware devices (i.e LCD screen) app took an hour to complete its checks.
* Re start again in recovery mode. Surprise!!! work...
* Re start again in normal mode, Work.

Bottom line, I reckon my Debian might be showing corruption issues (it has an SSD as hard disk). and better to deal with them now, rather than to let it pass.

Questions:

1) Which command in CLI might allow me to check logs? (and post them here)
2) CLI command to check HD status. (possible corruption??)
2) Is there any way I can "clean", or "roll back" my Debian install?
3) Is it better to go forward and update my Debian Install?

Anyway, any advise is highly appreciated. I will not turn my laptop off as I needed to complete an assignment...just in case it decides to die. !!!

Cheers
Colombian1976

Dai_trying

Re: Possiblle issue with my Debian 9.4.0.6 in my Dell XPS15

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

First thing you need to do is perform a backup of all important data, if you have an impending failure there is not much else you can do to be sure you can finish your assignment.

I have no experience of SSD so will have to leave that for more qualified advisers, but I usually fun fsck on any drive I am suspicious of.

Once you have your backup you can at least run a live-cd to finish your work even after the drive fails.

debiman

Re: Possiblle issue with my Debian 9.4.0.6 in my Dell XPS15

#3 Post by debiman »

how can we tell if it's a hardware issue, when you've told us next to nothing about the hardware?
also i'd be wary of that dell software, maybe it assumes a windows install, and who knows what it might do to your debian then...