Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Transfers, dd, cp fails on setupdisk, Deb 9, Deb 10

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Chiefahol2

[Solved] Transfers, dd, cp fails on setupdisk, Deb 9, Deb 10

#1 Post by Chiefahol2 »

Every single version and mix of Debian i try completely fails at transferring a lot of files, performing a cp or dd command without freezing/exploding the entire desktop.

The damn installer disk for Debian 9 and Debian 10 CANNOT wipe a ssd, it's like a cruel joke, all the installer disks just freeze. :(

I try Deb 10 KDE, it is incredibly unstable, crashes and freezes constantly, continuously fails to allow dd, cp commands to finish without killing them, throwing a segfault error or some other crazy nonsense that leaves me having to reboot. :evil:

I was then forced to skip the disk wipe while reinstalling Debian 9 GNOME. Problem solved right? :lol: Ran like a rock for me for years GNOME did! Oww wait now Debian 9 GNOME cannot handle file transfers, cp command, dd command or any significant kind of i/o without freezing or crashing? I tried a cp command just then, even put ionice -c3 (which does nothing, ever) in front and it still blew up Nautilus and returned the error 'Killed'. After trying again the system is now frozen completely solid. Debian 9 GNOME cannot even handle simple file transfer. :(

Help please, i really need a desktop that actually works, and is stable, and can do i/o operations like these all day every day without breaking. Before you as i testdisk'd the hell out of my devices so they are definitely OK.

Edit: Yep tried the USB2.0 port as well, same bug, Debian 9 GNOME freezes solid. :( I'm just trying to copy 6,000 files of a USB, it shouldn't be this hard.

Solution: Needed to boot live disk and run memtest86x, which revealed one of my RAM sticks is faulty. :)
Last edited by Chiefahol2 on 2018-06-01 08:28, edited 2 times in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Transfers, dd, cp fails on setupdisk, Deb 9, Deb 10, GNO

#2 Post by sunrat »

Dude, if it doesn't work for you and it works for millions of other people, there is something wrong with your installation or hardware.
You've posted in a number of threads about your troubles. Now it's time to do some actual diagnostic work and find out exactly where it's failing.
You said Plasma 5.12 is unstable whereas it's rock solid for me. Now you're saying Gnome is the same. I suggest you start with full memory and disk tests.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Chiefahol2

Re: Transfers, dd, cp fails on setupdisk, Deb 9, Deb 10, GNO

#3 Post by Chiefahol2 »

OK memtest 86x is showing a quarter million errors already.

You're a wise one sunrat, thanks. I'll do the testdisk again too although this is probably it.

Edit: I hate back everything i said about KDE5, it's probably a fine desktop. :oops: