Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disable X at boot time so that the system boots in text mode

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
stf92

Disable X at boot time so that the system boots in text mode

#1 Post by stf92 »

Hi: When the booting sequence ends I find myself in the GUI, where a login prompt is presented me (Debian version 9). I would like to change this and be able to start X by myself if I like to do it. Any way to accomplish this?

I presume it is in one of the scripts started by inittab that X is called. But which one. There are plenty of them.
Last edited by stf92 on 2018-06-01 22:05, edited 2 times in total.

bw123

Re: Starting X ad libitum.

#2 Post by bw123 »

resigned by AI ChatGPT

stf92

#3 Post by stf92 »

I know the startx command starts the GUI. My question was how to disable the automatic running of X. I do not want X to be run on my system.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

stf92 wrote:I know the startx command starts the GUI. My question was how to disable the automatic running of X. I do not want X to be run on my system.
There may be many ways to do it. Personally, when I don't want a display manager, I don't install one. I'm not sure that is supported on all desktop environments. Some people probably disable the dm, or default other than graphical.target or pass a parameter at boot time to run multi-user.target instead.

Your questions so far are very general, and include bare minimum of information about your objective, or your system setup. Try to do better?

If you don't want X to run on your system, uninstall it? and then you could install it 'ad libitum' when you want it.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stf92

#5 Post by stf92 »

It's simple. When the boot sequence ends I want to be in a text console. I do not want the boot sequence to start X. Later on, if I need it, I want to start the GUI (Xfce 4) with a single command (startx?). Simple enough, isn't it?

Lysander

Re: Disable X at boot time so that the system boots in text

#6 Post by Lysander »

You need to enable multi-user login.

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
To revert:

sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
Be aware that if you're using GNOME as a DE, this will disable the lock screen option from the aggragatar, since that option is enabled through GDM.
Last edited by Lysander on 2018-06-01 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

I asked you to try to do better. If you refuse, and continue to disrupt and troll the forum, I'll have to ask a moderator to step in. They don't show up often. We all get along pretty well here. We are a good forum, and like helping users, because we all enjoy linux.

Once again, please try to do better?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

tynman

#8 Post by tynman »

The idea of "booting to text mode" is indeed simple.

Achieving it is also straightforward: re-install Debian without installing any of the "desktop environments" which are offered during the install.

But then you need to install X.

sudo apt install xorg
Still simple and straightforward. (As you mentioned, you would need to start X from the console with the startx command.)

But typically you will also need to install window manager software. And perhaps a bunch of other software (depending on your needs). Compared to just installing one of the aforementioned "desktop environments", you're now looking at some work, deciding exactly what gui-related software you want, installing it from the Debian repositories and configuring to taste. Depending on your needs, previous experience, skill set and temperament, this might be the path for you and it might not.

Achieving "boot to text mode" should also be achievable without re-installing Debian, but to get advice on how to proceed, you would need to provide more information. The main thing would be to let the forum know which "desktop environment" you have installed (Gnome, KDE, etc), and if you are booting through grub.

stf92

#9 Post by stf92 »

Lysander wrote:You need to enable multi-user login.

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
To revert:

sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
Be aware that if you're using GNOME as a DE, this will disable the lock screen option from the aggragatar, since that option is enabled through GDM.
Thanks a lot. It worked fine.

tynman

#10 Post by tynman »

+1 for lysander's response
You need to enable multi-user login
which s/he snuck in while I was typing my reply.

sgage

#11 Post by sgage »

bw123 wrote:I asked you to try to do better. If you refuse, and continue to disrupt and troll the forum, I'll have to ask a moderator to step in. They don't show up often. We all get along pretty well here. We are a good forum, and like helping users, because we all enjoy linux.

Once again, please try to do better?
He wants to boot to a console, not a DM. A very simple question, actually. How is that disrupting and trolling the forum? What does he 'have to do better'? Why threats of 'I'll have to ask a moderator to step in'? Maybe I'm missing something (aways possible), but I think you're way overreacting.

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

sgage wrote: He wants to boot to a console, not a DM. A very simple question, actually. How is that disrupting and trolling the forum? What does he 'have to do better'? Why threats of 'I'll have to ask a moderator to step in'? Maybe I'm missing something (aways possible), but I think you're way overreacting.
Very possible that you are correct. My understanding of the forum is that posters are expected to follow certain conventions before posting.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10653

The forum does have guidelines, even though there are very few strictly enforced rules. I didn't mean to be threatening, and if that is so I apologize. I only asked the OP to follow suggested guidelines to keep the content relevant and useful for all visitors to the forum.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sgage

#13 Post by sgage »

bw123 wrote:
sgage wrote: He wants to boot to a console, not a DM. A very simple question, actually. How is that disrupting and trolling the forum? What does he 'have to do better'? Why threats of 'I'll have to ask a moderator to step in'? Maybe I'm missing something (aways possible), but I think you're way overreacting.
Very possible that you are correct. My understanding of the forum is that posters are expected to follow certain conventions before posting.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10653

The forum does have guidelines, even though there are very few strictly enforced rules. I didn't mean to be threatening, and if that is so I apologize. I only asked the OP to follow suggested guidelines to keep the content relevant and useful for all visitors to the forum.
It's the beginner's section - surely we can cut people a little slack, you know, ease them in. Sure, remind them of certain expectations, but your language was rather condescending and heavy-handed right out of the gate. "I asked you", "you refused". Threatening to call in the mods, accusations of trolling and disrupting - way over the top IMO.

This is what drives people away from Debian, and LInux in general. Perhaps that's what you want.

Lysander

#14 Post by Lysander »

The OP has posted five threads in one day. He wants quick-fix answers rather than to learn anything. This will not benefit him or the forum.

Debian is not a beginner's distro. It is an intermediate distro and some learning and research is required to use it. If that learning is not undertaken users will hit wall after wall. If they learn properly, they can sort out their own issues, and help others. We will not be helping them by spoon-feeding [I didn't see how many threads the OP had posted when I gave my answer above]. It's the old "teach a man to fish" adage, digital form.
Last edited by Lysander on 2018-06-02 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

#15 Post by debiman »

bw123 wrote:Your questions so far are very general, and include bare minimum of information about your objective, or your system setup. Try to do better?
fat chance.
stfu92 has been doing this on linuxquestions.org for 11 years!!!
never a valid problem description, always curt and unfriendly, but never actually abusive, which is no doubt the only reason they haven't been banned yet.
even so, their hit/miss rate is extremely low (meaning, for 10 threads opened, they get maybe 2 helpful replies), and i just don't understand how that can be effective in any way. asking others to use a search engine for them, never learning anything, listening to the same criticism over and over...
but i guess it's not really about wanting to effectively find solutions, rather about craving any sort of social interaction at any cost.
a textbook online troll.

Lysander

#16 Post by Lysander »

debiman wrote: stfu92 has been doing this on linuxquestions.org for 11 years!!!
never a valid problem description, always curt and unfriendly, but never actually abusive, which is no doubt the only reason they haven't been banned yet.
He currently has 3,847 posts over at LQ and his contributions have been rated helpful a mere 52 times. That is an absolutely shameful ratio. He's not interested in giving back to the community, only taking from it.

Wheelerof4te

#17 Post by Wheelerof4te »

@OP:
Debian has a reputation for being a distro for people who like to configure the system for themselves. Those people have a will to learn about the OS they're using, so why don't you do everyone a favor?
Read this fine handbook:
https://dflinux.frama.io/thebeginnersha ... 01-debian/
After that, when you got a problem, try googling it with the word "debian" included. That will surely give you a wiki page with at least some info about it. If those don't prove to be helpful, only then come here and ask. But ask in detail, and ask nicely.