Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Wheezy fonts

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Danfinn

Debian Wheezy fonts

#1 Post by Danfinn »

I am now migrating to Wheezy as much as I can as Windows is such a hopeless platform. My Vista machine got screwed up by an antivirus conflicting with it and has now been scrapped, my other Windows 7 has just finished its update. Took over 3 hours but did let me access shared drives and printers . I am a long time user of Open Office (10 years or more) and now Libre Office plus midori. 8)

For letter writing I use Edwardian Script for my business name and the rest is Times New Roman. I would like this or something very similar in Debian, that is if it does not infringe copyright. :?

Any ideas folks??

FYI I am using a Shuttle X PC with 2Gig memory and 80gig hdd and an old 14" monitor too. If it aint broke don't fix it! :lol:

debiman

Re: Debian Wheezy fonts

#2 Post by debiman »

Danfinn wrote:I am now migrating to Wheezy
i hope you never ever connect this machine to the internet, because wheezy is dead, EOL etc.
you really should be using stretch (=stable) and take a little effort to set up a lightweight environment.
or depend on other people doing that for you, and do it well: https://antixlinux.com/

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

Nimbus No 9, or Liberation Serif are both good. I don't recall edwardian but I'm sure you'll find something suitable. I think it's called Chancery?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I agree with debiman, Stretch will naturally have better fonts now, in addition to actually having support. Look up on setting up Openbox+tint2 (it's not really too hard!), or just install XFCE4 DE.
MATE will be good choice, too. But you might have to bump that RAM up to 4GB for it.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I agree with debiman, Stretch will naturally have better fonts now
yes, that was implied in my answer.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Or just use the fonts you were using in Windows in Debian. It supports all the common formats and a lot of obscure ones.

You don't have to use a version of Debian that's two or three generations behind, either. It's not like Windows in that regard.
MX Linux packager and developer

Danfinn

#7 Post by Danfinn »

Ok thanks folks I will be loading Jessie on the old vista box to make use of it. Was only Vista os that crashed so first off a fresh install to the Vista box, transfer the data, then upgrade the the old shuttle which works fine. I have a selection of hdd's from various old machines some 340gig so will be using one of them. 8)

Btw I did try antixlinux some years ago and was subjected to a load of virus and spam after visiting, so not gone near since. Never had problems with Debian, except when trying to load Etch from an old cd :lol:

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Again I have to ask what's wrong with installing the current stable Stretch, instead of the old Jessie release, which has just lost the main Debian team's security support by switching to LTS? What is this fixation on older versions for no reason? Again, forget your Windows habits; those will only lead you into failures!

I'm also on the MX Linux team, which is allied with antiX. What is this talk about malware and spam after just "visiting"? We'd like to nip this in the bud if this is what happened, so please provide full details of what happened instead of spreading vague FUD. If you can't, and based on your unexplained fixations, I will have to assume you're one of the few trolls we've had show up on the forums over there.

Danfinn

#9 Post by Danfinn »

When I visited the antix site I did try out the demo was impressed and going to use same in 2015, but either I downloaded some malware before or after I dont know, but it did take a lot of trouble to get rid of it so I never trusted that download or site again :?

My interest is keeping old kit running and getting use out of it instead of dumping and getting new. I am not a troll, I just tell it how it is/was.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

This is the first report we've had of the site possibly serving Windows malware, so I would be inclined to think you got it somewhere else. It only stands to reason that others would have been infected in all these years if the site itself were to blame.