Backport Newbie Questions

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Backport Newbie Questions

Postby llewellen » 2018-06-03 02:24

I have read backports.debian.org and the wiki but my question wasn't answered, at least not directly enough for a novice :) I'm running debian-testing with E22 desktop

Is there an acceptable? recommended? safe? way to backport app updates that are not in any debian repo? I have installed Falkon 3.0.0 browser from the debian-testing repo. The developer has released Falkon 3.0.1-2, which is not available in any debian repo. The new release has a couple of new features but what's more important to me is that it also fixes a few annoying bugs.
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope
llewellen

Re: Backport Newbie Questions

Postby bw123 » 2018-06-03 02:50

I don't think backports is where you want to be... or relevant to the problem. You are on testing, and I don;t think there is any place to backport anything from? You should build it, try checking out the dev github or whererever it is hosted.

https://backports.debian.org/
Introduction You are running Debian stable, because you prefer the Debian stable tree. It runs great, there is just one problem: the software is a little bit outdated compared to other distributions. This is where backports come in.
bw123

Postby llewellen » 2018-06-03 03:23

@bw123: Yes, that's what it seemed to me also - no way to backport anything if running testing. Recall the title of my post though: novice here scrambling to climb the learning curve. This is what I found at GitHub regarding "building" Falkon:

README.md
= Falkon Web Browser =

QtWebEngine web browser.

== Building ==

Falkon uses CMake, to build it run:

mkdir build && cd build
cmake ..
make
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope
llewellen

Postby llewellen » 2018-06-03 04:42

@bw123: I found this for some "light reading" to try to get some grasp of what's involved:

https://debian-handbook.info/browse/sta ... aging.html
llewellen

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-06-03 06:11

^You found what you're asking for, then :)

Just a hint, it is better to wait for a package to get to unstable repo, and build from it's sources. That way, you know the package has been verified for Debian. That said, there is 7-10 day delay between Unstable/Sid and Testing, provided there are no release critical bugs.
Wheelerof4te

Postby debiman » 2018-06-03 07:12

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
just because it's quoted so much doesn't make it less true...

hint: archlinux has falkon in [extra], and it's at 3.0.1.
debiman

Postby llewellen » 2018-06-03 15:13

debiman wrote:https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
just because it's quoted so much doesn't make it less true...

hint: archlinux has falkon in [extra], and it's at 3.0.1.

Caution noted. I have Falkon 3.0.1-2 installed on my other laptop that is running on Manjaro. That's how I noted a couple of bug fixes that I would like to get on my other laptop running on Debian-testing.
llewellen

Postby llewellen » 2018-06-03 15:17

Wheelerof4te wrote:^You found what you're asking for, then :)

Just a hint, it is better to wait for a package to get to unstable repo, and build from it's sources. That way, you know the package has been verified for Debian. That said, there is 7-10 day delay between Unstable/Sid and Testing, provided there are no release critical bugs.

A 7-10 day delay to get from unstable to testing is not a big deal. It's how long it takes a package to get to unstable in the first place that can be bothersome.

On futher reading, it seems that since this Falkon update that I'm after is in GitHub, I should be trying to learn the process to use git package-builder, no?
llewellen

Postby stevepusser » 2018-06-03 19:07

Often you can use the debian folder from a previous Debian version to build a hot new release that's not in Debian at all yet, making appropriate changes in debian/changelog. If there are any patches in debian/patches that have been fixed upstream, or have to be refreshed because of changes in the target file, then it gets more complicated. I just did Calibre 3.25.0 for a Stretch base yesterday where this applied, and had to refresh one patch because of source code changes.

Let me see what happens with Falkon 3.0.1 in a Buster pbuilder. I know their 3.0 appimage doesn't work on Stretch, but maybe they'll have one for 3.0.1 that'll work on Buster.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: mvp 0.29.0, Pale Moon 28.0.0, wine-staging 3.13, qBittorrent 4.1.2, Linux kernel 4.17.14, virtualbox 5.2.18
stevepusser

Postby stevepusser » 2018-06-03 19:34

A little more research shows that falkon-3.0.1 has been out for 26 days now, so Debian is dragging. However, Ubuntu has 3.0.1 in Cosmic, so let me see if I can build their sources on Buster.

Edit: I had to revert some changes that Ubuntu made, which would only let members of the Debian packaging team build it. :(

Hopefully this will build: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ter/falkon
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: mvp 0.29.0, Pale Moon 28.0.0, wine-staging 3.13, qBittorrent 4.1.2, Linux kernel 4.17.14, virtualbox 5.2.18
stevepusser

Postby stevepusser » 2018-06-03 23:04

So the Buster builds are done; will you install and test them? Since qupzilla is just a single deb, it's also easy just to download and install the deb instead of adding the new repo.
stevepusser

Postby llewellen » 2018-06-04 22:57

stevepusser wrote:So the Buster builds are done; will you install and test them? Since qupzilla is just a single deb, it's also easy just to download and install the deb instead of adding the new repo.

Sorry for the delay in reponding. There was a fire in my apartment building and we have all been evacuated. I'm in a motel for the next day or two. I'm OK and my suite wasn't damaged but the fire department won't let us back in yet.

Re Falkon: which course of action do you recommend?
llewellen

Postby stevepusser » 2018-06-05 00:44

You could file a bug against the 3.0 version in testing saying that there's a new version out and requesting packaging.

You can also install and use my build from the OBS until testing gets it. Mine is versioned so that a Debian version will appear as an upgrade.
stevepusser

Postby llewellen » 2018-06-05 02:20

stevepusser wrote:You could file a bug against the 3.0 version in testing saying that there's a new version out and requesting packaging.

You can also install and use my build from the OBS until testing gets it. Mine is versioned so that a Debian version will appear as an upgrade.

Filing a bug report might seem to be a bit pushy on my part. Where is your build loctated?
llewellen

Postby Lysander » 2018-06-05 09:30

stevepusser wrote:A little more research shows that falkon-3.0.1 has been out for 26 days now, so Debian is dragging. However, Ubuntu has 3.0.1 in Cosmic, so let me see if I can build their sources on Buster.

Edit: I had to revert some changes that Ubuntu made, which would only let members of the Debian packaging team build it. :(

Hopefully this will build: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ter/falkon

Steve, I have been curious to get Falkon working in Slackware but there is no Slackbuild yet. Do you think it's worth attempting to get your binary working? I would probably sanitise it first and rebuild it [as long as it's 32-bit].

EDIT: apologies for the slight topic hijack.

EDIT2: apparently it won't work since it needs a later version of qt5.
Lysander

Next

Return to Beginners Questions