Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is a Transparent Terminal possible like on ubuntu?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
r4son

Is a Transparent Terminal possible like on ubuntu?

#1 Post by r4son »

Hellow guys, :D I'm pretty new to everything I just like to mess around now. I'm still in my learning phase.
I wanted to ask if it is possible to somehow make Debian 9 Terminal transparent like on ubuntu? and thank you for your help :)
I kinda don't find it :c
PS.: Can I move the Minimize, Maximize, Exit buttons to the left? xd Sorry I'm really bad at things and google doesn't want to be my friend today.

bw123

Re: Is a Transparent Terminal possible like on ubuntu?

#2 Post by bw123 »

yes on the transpareny, not sure on the window settings, but probably. Depends what the desktop environment / window manager is.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

MALsPa

#3 Post by MALsPa »

Hm: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=763383

I don't think Debian has the patch that's mentioned, still.

And, see: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Terminal/FA ... sparent.3F

I haven't tried any of that myself, so I have no transparency in gnome-terminal in Debian (I can live without it). Terminator is an option; transparency works fine with that one.

r4son

#4 Post by r4son »

bw123 wrote:yes on the transpareny, not sure on the window settings, but probably. Depends what the desktop environment / window manager is.
Gnome 3. GDM and gnome-terminal --> 3.22.2

r4son

#5 Post by r4son »

MALsPa wrote:Hm: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=763383

I don't think Debian has the patch that's mentioned, still.

And, see: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Terminal/FA ... sparent.3F

I haven't tried any of that myself, so I have no transparency in gnome-terminal in Debian (I can live without it). Terminator is an option; transparency works fine with that one.
Thanks I've looked it up, it isn't as important for me neither it just looks cooler :) Anyways thank you. Now I am trying it with guake. :)

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

In the hope that this topic won't spiral into further vague posts generated by laziness and lack of research, opacity control was deprecated in GNOME Terminal 3.7. Use lxterminal if you must have control over opacity.

And OP, you could have easily found this out by doing some research yourself, but when you said "Google doesn't want to be my friend" you just meant you couldn't be bothered to look.
Last edited by Lysander on 2018-06-03 21:42, edited 3 times in total.

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

I never used gnome or ubutnu, and that is an interesting discussion in the bug report, about setting transparency only for the terminal background and not the window decorations.

I like the idea, but do not know how to get it.
Lysander wrote: In the hope that this topic won't spiral into further vague posts generated by laziness and lack of research, opacity control was deprecated in GNOME Terminal 3.7. Use LXDE Terminal if you must have control over opacity. And OP, you could have easily found this out by doing some research yourself, but when you said "Google doesn't want to be my friend" you just meant you couldn't be bothered to look.
hmmm, I think this might be one of those, "WHy didn't Debian do it my way?" threads?

Are you guys saying that gnome terminal doesn't support transparency at all? Like through the window manager settings? That's kind of hard to believe, but I guess you wouldn;t make this stuff up.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

MALsPa

#8 Post by MALsPa »

r4son wrote:it just looks cooler :)
Yeah, transparency is kinda nice.
Lysander wrote:And OP, you could have easily found this out by doing some research yourself, but when you said "Google doesn't want to be my friend" you just meant you couldn't be bothered to look.
I have no problem with the OP asking about this. I learned a few things from this thread, and maybe some other users will, too.

Lysander

#9 Post by Lysander »

bw123 wrote:Are you guys saying that gnome terminal doesn't support transparency at all? Like through the window manager settings? That's kind of hard to believe, but I guess you wouldn;t make this stuff up.
This will go some way to explaining it:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=698544
The ability to set background transparency was removed as a part of a much larger clean up of the gnome-terminal code base. This modernisation effort is much needed and it should be remembered that the terminal has an old and complicated code base. Background transparency was also known to cause a range of performance issues, including slowness and memory leaks.

Given the number of active terminal developers, the need to clean up the code base and known bugs with background transparency, it was decided that the resources were not available to maintain background transparency and keep the quality to the required level.

We understand that some users are disappointed by the disappearance of this feature, and we hope that they understand that this decision was made to enable other improvements to the terminal code, and that it will lead to other improvements in the long run.
There is a link to a workaround but it's outdated. If terminal transparency is that important, lxterminal is both officially supported in Debian and gives the user full control over opacity.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/lxterminal

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

Or just switch to KDE. Konsole works fine with transparency. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

MALsPa

#11 Post by MALsPa »

Lysander wrote:This will go some way to explaining it:

Thanks, Lysander; that was informative. Also, somewhat entertaining (Christian Persch's one-word reply there -- wow).

Lol, this is how things go, not only with Linux but in Life. Just because you love something today doesn't mean it'll be there tomorrow.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

MALsPa wrote:
Lysander wrote:This will go some way to explaining it:

Thanks, Lysander; that was informative. Also, somewhat entertaining (Christian Persch's one-word reply there -- wow).
Christian Persch wrote:No.
you have to read between the lines!
really it means: gnome-terminal code has been broken for years, and in a desperate and continued attempt to keep GNOME the undeserved Nr. 1 on the Linux DE market, despite relying on the coding capabilities of clueless graphic designers with delusions of grandeur, we decided to simply remove this feature, too.
At least it looks good if you don't mess with the defaults.

jeanpaulberes

#13 Post by jeanpaulberes »

I personally installed guake, a very good customizable Drop-down terminal ... works well on gnome, xfce, mate and cinnamon desktop environments ...