Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disappointed with Jessie, let me explain!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Danfinn

Disappointed with Jessie, let me explain!

#1 Post by Danfinn »

I am running a very reliable Wheezy dist, does all that I want with the exception of fonts, those being limited and I would like more choice. :D

I make use of my old pc's. Don't want or need to keep buying new, excepting of course more memory. I keep all my old hdd's for backup and setting up pc's for my use. 8)

I was advised, on here, that my Wheezy was now EOL and I should move on to a supported version. Not wanting to move on to the very latest, especially as my hardware is old 10 to 15 years, I decided to move up to Jessie. Not a good move! It is sitting on a HP pc, 2.8gig Memory, Celleron processor, some hardware not detected ie wifi and sd card bays but all other things work. This was my old Vista machine, that was not supported either, but worked fine till the new spybot licence installer screwed the os up. :cry:

The pc has now locked up a couple of times, I have a printer problem I didn't have before and now I find the later Libre Office can't bring in xls spreadsheets. Reads them as a text file, :? yet the Libre Office 3 on Wheezy brings them in automatically. :) :)

I do not wish to come over as a whinger, but I was expecting better functionality not worse. I refuse to pay MS for their office products or indeed little else except Skype. I am not interested in Ubuntu or other dists either. I like this one when it works! :)

The plan is now to fire up Jessie each day and hope that Libre Office gets better (with updates) and I can get Jessie to work with my Laserjet P1102w, meanwhile still using my productive Wheezy.
Thanks

srq2625

Re: Disappointed with Jessie, let me explain!

#2 Post by srq2625 »

Were I in your shoes and not knowing your reasons for not trying Stretch, I would give Stretch a try (neither MATE nor Xfce would place undue burden on your processor/memory). And Stretch is much improved over Jessie - it might just solve all your indicated issues.

Danfinn

#3 Post by Danfinn »

Ok 8) I will trust your good judgement :) I have the DVD so will give it a go :!: Just and hour or two for an install :lol:

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

I hope you have done the requested reading and realize the stock "free as in speech" Debian ISOs omit often-required firmware that's necessary for everything to "just work" out of the box. Debian considers this a feature, not a bug. If you don't feel like reading and learning this sort of boring stuff, I would suggest you instead try one of the many fine Debian derivatives that make "it just works" one of their raisons d'etre.
MX Linux packager and developer

Danfinn

#5 Post by Danfinn »

Well I have now installed Stretch, took an hour off DVD 1 + internet and it appears to be quite fast, everything works as it should apart from the HPLIP plugin which I shall have to work on. Wifi and SD card reader don't work but I'm not fussed about wifi. My C6200 reads cards so I use that on a share from a windows pc. :D

Perhaps I have been spoiled by wheezy working out of the box :D

Anyways I am back up and running :D

My hardware for Stretch is an HP Pavilion 24 - b100 dual core 2.8gig. Hope it don't blow up :!: 8)

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

The odds are almost 100% that your wi-fi just needs a nonfree firmware package, as I noted above. Check out the entries for your particular wi-fi chipset/firmware in the Debian wiki.
MX Linux packager and developer

Lysander

#7 Post by Lysander »

Danfinn wrote:
Perhaps I have been spoiled by wheezy working out of the box :D
Debian distros do not work OOTB. Not unless you want no third-party software, your graphics are immediately perfectly scaled, you have the fonts you need, your hardware works fine and your DE looks great to you with no configuration. Did you install Wheezy? Debian distros invariably take a notable amount of DIY before they're running like the user wants.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

i find it more likely that op simply doesn't remember the install process anymore. or maybe they used a wheezy-based distro (not debian proper).

btw, i said "i hope you never ever connect to the internet with this machine" - the implication being that as long as the machine stays offline it can run wheezy for all eternity.

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Wired connection is recommended for installing any OS. Laptops usually come pre-loaded with Windows, so most people don't care about installing in the first place.
After installation, it is often only required to enable non-free repo and then install appropriate firmware for your Wi-Fi card.

Lysander

#10 Post by Lysander »

debiman wrote: btw, i said "i hope you never ever connect to the internet with this machine" - the implication being that as long as the machine stays offline it can run wheezy for all eternity.
Indeed, at work we have an offline server that runs XP and probably always will.

Danfinn

#11 Post by Danfinn »

Lysander wrote:
debiman wrote:
Indeed, at work we have an offline server that runs XP and probably always will.
I have one too! But not a server, just runs and old accounts package! 8)

Pleased to say that Stretch is working very well now, I increased the memory to 4Gib as that is the maximum the MB will take and this is a nice replacement for my old MS Vista. 8)

Just need to work on the HPLIP problem and it will be 100% 8)

Thanks to everyone for advice and help :)

Johen Scott

#12 Post by Johen Scott »

Stretch rocks.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#13 Post by Bloom »

Especially on a laptop, always use the non-free with firmware version of the Debian ISO. You can find that here: http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimag ... rent-live/