Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing minimal KDE desktop - no graphical login screen

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
athmoss

Installing minimal KDE desktop - no graphical login screen

#1 Post by athmoss »

Hello dear Debian Community!

I am trying to install a minimal KDE desktop on a clean, terminal-only netinstall Debian Sid installation. Here are the steps I'm performing:
  • install a basic system with no graphical interface, only "standard system utilities" selected
  • after installation I do a "sudo apt update" followed by a "sudo apt upgrade" then a reboot to make sure anything new gets loaded
  • I edit the sources file, replacing "buster" with "sid" and commenting the security repositories out
  • update/upgrade/reboot as above
  • I install the following: "sudo apt install kde-plasma-desktop sddm xorg plasma-nm upower"
  • check, if graphical target is default with "sudo systemctl get-default", the output is "graphical.target"
  • reboot the system
Here's where I'd expect the system to boot with a graphical desktop login screen, however I get a console login instead as if no GUI was installed. After logging in and typing startx, I get the KDE desktop. If I do a "sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target" the result is the same - boot to text, can start KDE manually. My question is, what am I doing wrong/incorrectly? Is there any package I missed to install? Thank you!

Regards,
athmoss

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Installing minimal KDE desktop - no graphical login scre

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Try

Code: Select all

# dpkg-reconfigure sddm
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

athmoss

#3 Post by athmoss »

Thanks for the reply. There's no output from that command, so I'm not sure if it did anything. However I'm still booting into CLI login.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

athmoss wrote:Thanks for the reply. There's no output from that command, so I'm not sure if it did anything. However I'm still booting into CLI login.
What is the output of:

$ systemctl status sddm.service
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

sudo apt install -f
sudo apt full-upgrade
apt show sddm
This will try to solve possible dependency problems and the last command will show if you have sddm installed.
Be aware that there was a xorg dependency hell a while ago in Sid.

athmoss

#6 Post by athmoss »

All the below is right after I log in on the text console, without startx. Not sure what "a while ago" is :) This is a new install from yesterday (I thought it is better to reinstall the system and start clean before asking questions).

systemctl status sddm.service
● sddm.service - Simple Desktop Display Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service; indirect; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2018-06-09 09:27:59 CEST; 4min 44s ago
     Docs: man:sddm(1)
           man:sddm.conf(5)
  Process: 417 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null)" = "/usr/bin/sddm" ] (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 426 (sddm)
    Tasks: 2 (limit: 2365)
   Memory: 11.1M
   CGroup: /system.slice/sddm.service
           └─426 /usr/bin/sddm

sudo apt install -f
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

sudo apt full-upgrade
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

apt show sddm
Package: sddm
Version: 0.17.0-1
Priority: optional
Section: kde
Maintainer: Debian/Kubuntu Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 1,867 kB
Provides: x-display-manager
Depends: adduser, qml-module-qtquick2, x11-common, xserver-xorg | xserver, debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1), libqt5core5a (>= 5.9.0~beta), libqt5dbus5 (>= 5.6.0~), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.6.0~beta), libqt5network5 (>= 5.6.0~), libqt5qml5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5quick5 (>= 5.0.2), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), libsystemd0, libxcb-xkb1, libxcb1
Recommends: libpam-systemd, sddm-theme-debian-maui | sddm-theme
Suggests: libpam-kwallet5, qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin
Homepage: https://github.com/sddm/sddm
Tag: implemented-in::c++, interface::graphical, interface::x11,
 role::program, scope::application, uitoolkit::qt, use::login,
 x11::application, x11::display-manager
Download-Size: 627 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
Description: modern display manager for X11
 SDDM is a modern display manager for X11 aiming to be fast, simple
 and beautiful. It uses modern technologies like QtQuick to create
 smooth, animated user interfaces.

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

There can be two reasons.
1. You haven't configured your hardware correctly, meaning your graphics card. Give the details of your system.
2. There is a bug in the SDDM, or xorg, or some other package that prevents the display manager from showing up.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#8 Post by arochester »

I have found SDDM a bit buggy, although I have one instance of it running on a laptop.

Does it have to be SDDM? In a comparison of Display Managers, it came 5th. https://www.slant.co/topics/2053/~linux-display-manager .Slim is lightweight

Another alternative is to do without a Desktop Manager at all. If you don't want to type startx every time Head_on_a_Stick proposed an solution that works:

Add this line to the end of ~/.profile to automatically start your desktop after a TTY1 login:

[ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" ] && exec startx
- http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... in#p667645

athmoss

#10 Post by athmoss »

Well, there's my answer then. Thank you!
Give the details of your system.
First I was trying to install this on a ThinkPad x260 (i7-6600u with an integrated Intel HD graphics) but since I wasn't successful and I needed a working system, I ended up installing a minimal MATE with LightDM (and pulling in half of KDE anyway after installing some of the KDE apps I like). After that, or since then, I was trying to install KDE in a Virtualbox VM.
Does it have to be SDDM?
No, not really, I just liked the looks of it :) and to my knowledge it's the default DM for KDE in Debian. After replacing SDDM with Slim, I get a graphical login screen now. Thanks for the tip!