Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian stretch: Compiz Window decorator

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
faziopesce

#1 Post by faziopesce »

Hi, I'm on debian stable, mate d.e. and I installed compiz from debian stable repo. When I start compiz and I change mate theme, the theme window decorator remain the same "gtk-window-decorator" setted in compiz. How can I change decorator? I tried to install metacity and its additional themes but I cannot open metacity settings, so I cannot change window decorator theme if I've installed compiz.
Thank you.

dcihon

Re: Debian stretch: Compiz Window decorator

#2 Post by dcihon »

faziopesce

#3 Post by faziopesce »

I'd avoid testing repo or unstable versions of compiz. From tuxfamily repo I'll install previous version 0.8 but is this version stable? Can I change windows decoration according with mate d.e. themes?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Some say the 0.8 compiz-reloaded is even more stable than the 0.9 series. A workaround to the window decoration mess is to install emerald and emerald-themes and use one of those themes, or one you can find on the net.
MX Linux packager and developer

faziopesce

#5 Post by faziopesce »

I've installed all packets from tuxfamily repository on a virtualbox clean mate installation and I setted 'compiz --replace' like startup command and "compiz+marco" on mate tweaks. After a reboot everything works (even the fantastic emerald osx-style theme) well automatically from startup but in 5-10 seconds compiz crashes and compositor return automatically default's marco. If this is not related to tuxfamily repo, where is the problem?

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

faziopesce wrote:tuxfamily repository
what exactly is this?
how did you install? show us the commands, please.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

debiman wrote:
faziopesce wrote:tuxfamily repository
what exactly is this?
how did you install? show us the commands, please.
http://compiz-debian.tuxfamily.org/

I wonder if you have parts of Debian's compiz installed, too. Have you installed fusion-icon and used that to switch Compiz on and off?

They don't offer compiz-mate or compiz-marco in their repo, which makes me think that your version is Debian's, and they don't support MATE any longer...http://download.tuxfamily.org/compiz/de ... ol/main/c/

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

FWIW, when compiz-reloaded 0.8.14 first came out on github and before tuxfamily added it with changed package names, I bumped the epoch so it would be seen as higher than Debian's and rebuilt it using the same names as the 0.8.12 releases, including compiz-mate on Stretch. So we have those in the stock MX 17 repos. Long story short, on MX, I just added MATE, compiz, and compiz-mate, logged into MATE, and used fusion-icon to start up compiz and ran it for a few minutes. No crashes as I wiggled windows or spun the cube around. So it works here AFAIK. It won't work if you add it to the tuxfamily packages because of their different package names. This is what I get:

Code: Select all

apt depends compiz-mate

compiz-mate
  Depends: compiz-gtk (= 2:0.8.14-0mx17+1)
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4)
 |Depends: dconf-gsettings-backend
  Depends: <gsettings-backend>
    gconf-gsettings-backend
    dconf-gsettings-backend
  Depends: marco (>= 1.8.0)
  Depends: mate-themes