Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stellarium install keeps failing

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mariner2

Stellarium install keeps failing

#1 Post by mariner2 »

While Debian 9 was installing "Stellarium" , I closed an unrelated text file, to clear the desktop. A second after, the installation stopped. (So I presume it was my fault for the failure??)
So far i downloaded (tried to install) the app 3 more times, each time it fails
If I install something else, the Stellarium application keeps coming back to nag. And nothing gets installed at all.
The last time i got the following message (i have seen this 3 times now)

(Reading database ... 172758 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../stellarium-data_0.15.0-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking stellarium-data (0.15.0-1) over (0.15.0-1) ...
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
unable to create '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i': Operation not permitted
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...

I tried a number of offered solution online, but so far nothing seemed to stop the problem
Can anyone offer a solution?

dcihon

Re: Stellarium install keeps failing

#2 Post by dcihon »

Since you haven't told us what you did try or anything about your system.
Try this:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ge-904637/

Report back with the results.

mariner2

#3 Post by mariner2 »

My system is dual boot with win 10 pro 64 bit on a Toshiba Portege R830

Re your suggestion : i have already tried this . did not work

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

I tried a number of offered solution online, but so far nothing seemed to stop the problem Can anyone offer a solution?
That's very vague, without knowing what you already tried...

I looked up "unable to create '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i': Operation not permitted"

and found something that sounds similar,

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=49891

I'd try some of the same things there. It's a 2 page thread, very nice troubleshooting step-by-step, has a happy ending.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

How much free space do you have in your root?

Have you tried installing and removing a much smaller package to see if apt is working for other packages?

BTW, Stellarium is up to 0.18.0 now. The backport rebuild on Stretch is fairly trivial.
MX Linux packager and developer

mariner2

#6 Post by mariner2 »

Space in the Debian partition is 160GB.
Yes i have tried to install a smaller package, but Debian ranks the smaller package as number two in line. It wants to install the first package (Stellarium ) first and than install the second or smaller package. (The stellarium install keeps falling over)
As I mentioned i tried various solutions i found online over the last couple of days, (I know this is vague, but forgot what I tried).
I guess my initial question is stated wrong . "Is there a way to WIPE all traces of Stellarium from the Debian partition, so that it stops nagging about it , or do i start with a clean slate and have to reinstall debian again"??
In Windows I can delete all files and entries in the registry and start again, How about in Linux??

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

The first thing I'd do is fsck the filesystem, do you remember if you did that?
In Windows I can delete all files and entries in the registry and start again, How about in Linux??
I haven't used windows in quite a few yrs, but from what I recall, there were hundreds of entries like {938563443569412020128639457986734986734899867389467} that led to other similar entries, so on and so forth, and the registry was a mess to straighten out when there were problems. Deleting a program and all of it's entaglements in the registry was a real nightmare for me. Are you saying they have fixed that?

If you are very new, and don't have a lot of time invested, and don;t want to spend any time, then reinstall is sometimes the easiest quickest way.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

It wants to install the first package (Stellarium ) first and than install the second or smaller package.
Remove Stellarium. Purge it right out of your system. Get the rest working properly. After you are satisfied that your system works the way it is supposed to, then you can try to install Stellarium.

Code: Select all

apt install stellarium

Please post your /etc/apt/sources.list.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

mariner2 »As I mentioned i tried various solutions i found online over the last couple of days, (I know this is vague, but forgot what I tried).
No one can help you with this kind of vague description of what you tried.
If you really want help, then show us exactly, using code boxes , what commands you use , and what the output is, ...
by mariner2 »I guess my initial question is stated wrong . "Is there a way to WIPE all traces of Stellarium from the Debian partition, so that it stops nagging about it , or do i start with a clean slate and have to reinstall debian again"??
Did you read anything from here ? :
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ls.en.html
That would be the logical place to start, if you really want to learn how to completely remove this package, and it also might be of help in installing it correctly.

To remove the foo package from your system, run:

apt remove foo

To remove the foo package and its configuration files from your system, run:

apt purge foo
mariner2 >In Windows I can delete all files and entries in the registry and start again, How about in Linux??
I have no idea what "the registry" in Windows is , nor do I care or have any interest in what you can or can't do "In Windows", ....
We are talking about Debian here , aren't we ? Using Debian, and most other Linux distros, yes there is ways to completely remove any files, any where, in any directory, also to easily remove any package and it's dependencies, the above link goes into detail on that .
After you have actually tried some of the commands, and get some results, if there still are traces of this package, that you can not 'find' or 'locate',
(see

man find
and
man locate
for details.
If you still can not remove it all, show some real details, etc. and maybe some one can say what you are doing wrong, it may be as simple as not typing the command exactly correctly, or something, but we can't guess, if you can not or will not show exactly what you really do.
A reinstall might be easier, but that seems silly to me, for 1 little package that is broken.

mariner2

#10 Post by mariner2 »

Yes, quite simple to delete the KEYS in Win XP- 7 - 10 registry than start again..

I tried sudo fsck /dev/sda8 (The 160GB debian partition)
Result : fsck from util - linux 2.29.2
e2fck 1.43.4
/dev/sda8 is mounted
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting

mariner2

#11 Post by mariner2 »

GarryRicketson wrote:
mariner2 »As I mentioned i tried various solutions i found online over the last couple of days, (I know this is vague, but forgot what I tried).
No one can help you with this kind of vague description of what you tried.
If you really want help, then show us exactly, using code boxes , what commands you use , and what the output is, ...
by mariner2 »I guess my initial question is stated wrong . "Is there a way to WIPE all traces of Stellarium from the Debian partition, so that it stops nagging about it , or do i start with a clean slate and have to reinstall debian again"??
Did you read anything from here ? :
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ls.en.html
That would be the logical place to start, if you really want to learn how to completely remove this package, and it also might be of help in installing it correctly.

Yes I read it and tried not working. purging does not work --> It wants to keep on installing the same program--> That's why I am here asking questions

To remove the foo package from your system, run:
I don't have a foo package

apt remove foo

To remove the foo package and its configuration files from your system, run:

apt purge foo

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

Neither do I, but I give up, if I need explain to you about what a "foo package" is.
However, if you want to know ; what is a foo file or package.

mariner2

#13 Post by mariner2 »

Bulkley wrote:
It wants to install the first package (Stellarium ) first and than install the second or smaller package.
Remove Stellarium. Purge it right out of your system. Get the rest working properly. After you are satisfied that your system works the way it is supposed to, then you can try to install Stellarium.

apt install stellarium

Please post your /etc/apt/sources.list.
Purging does not work or at least not when i did it... The package is not fully installed, it failed halfway through. Currently it is going around like a dog chasing it's tail, cannot delete & cannot reinstall
The sources.list: ( 5 items)

opencpn-ubuntu-opencp-cosmic.list 0 KB
opencpn-ubuntu-opencp-cosmic.list.save 0 KB
teamviewer.list 2 KB
teamviewer.list.save 2 KB
wxformbuilder-ubuntu-wxwidges-cosmic.list 1 KB

mariner2

#14 Post by mariner2 »

GarryRicketson wrote:
Neither do I, but I give up, if I need explain to you about what a "foo package" is.
However, if you want to know ; what is a foo file or package.
OK pardon my ignorance -->Thanks a lot for your reply
Last edited by mariner2 on 2018-06-21 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

#15 Post by bw123 »

Let's not get too upset. It's a strange problem, and we don't have a lot of information. The OP isn't using debian at all, and is new enough not to understand a lot of basics, like fsck.

In the old forum thread that I linked to earlier, the problem in that case was caused by a filesystem error, and a grunged entry in a file in /var/lib/dpkg/info/

I have seen this kind of problem before, where there are very strange characters in a file that should be readable text. It's easy to check, just cat the file, or look at it with less. Another thing the OP may have trouble doing?

My opinion is that this could be caused by interrupting apt/dpkg while it is installing a pkg, but of course I'm not sure the cause. I'm not sure of the fix.

Reinstall sounds like the best way, because OP doesn't have the needed skill to perform the basics of troubleshooting and repairing. It's not a question of being ignorant, it just has not been learned. Learning takes time.
Last edited by bw123 on 2018-06-21 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#16 Post by None1975 »

mariner2 wrote: The sources.list: ( 5 items)

opencpn-ubuntu-opencp-cosmic.list 0 KB
opencpn-ubuntu-opencp-cosmic.list.save 0 KB
teamviewer.list 2 KB
teamviewer.list.save 2 KB
wxformbuilder-ubuntu-wxwidges-cosmic.list 1 KB
And what about your Ubuntu entries on your Debian system? You created frankendebian? Don't you?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Bulkley

#17 Post by Bulkley »

Yes, he has a frankendebian. I suspect that the OP knew that and was hoping to find a solution without the obvious prescription, format and reinstall using one distro only.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#18 Post by None1975 »

Bulkley wrote:Yes, he has a frankendebian. I suspect that the OP knew that and was hoping to find a solution without the obvious prescription, format and reinstall using one distro only.
That's it.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

All the OP has to do is restore from a recent backup.... :twisted:
MX Linux packager and developer