Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Updating Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
scotallan

Updating Debian

#1 Post by scotallan »

A Friend And I Just Installed Debian 9 network Cd Version On UEFI, My Question is I Am Trying To Update Debian And I'm Not currently familiar with The Right Su command In Debian to do this, Redcore I Know Fedora as well, But Debian I'm Not Any Help Will help. Also I'm Not sure If How to use Sudo in Debian Ether

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Updating Debian

#2 Post by None1975 »

Hello. For updating your Debian system, you should do:
1. Became a root

Code: Select all

su
2. Type

apt update
3. Following by

apt upgrade
Also, check this. It is Debian handbook in pdf format. You can download it and study carefully. Good luck.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

scotallan

#3 Post by scotallan »

I Ment to ask How Do I Activte Sudo Was The Question I Ment To Ask Also As I Afterthough, I'm Running This As LXDE Don't Think That Makes Any Difference

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Have you tried this ? How to update Debian 9

The first hit: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... te.en.html
Answers this, and then there are a lot of other results that would be educational.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

scotallan wrote:I Ment to ask How Do I Activte Sudo Was The Question I Ment To Ask Also As I Afterthough, I'm Running This As LXDE Don't Think That Makes Any Difference
Well, then copy paste the question : "how do I install sudo on debian" into a search engine. "sudo" is not installed by default on Debian. You must install it.
Learn to at least try to search for your answers.

How to use Sudo in Debian
============
https://wiki.debian.org/sudo

scotallan

#6 Post by scotallan »

When I try to install sudo in a terminal it is reported to already be present, so it must have been installed *BY DEFAULT* by the network installer. I think my version is Stretch 9.x. I did not install sudo manually and this install is a bit more than 24 hours old. I chose LXDE for my desktop, I haven't used Debian before.

But now, when I try to use sudo, it tells me I'm not in the sudoers file.

Thanks for the PDF link to the manual, I'll read as much as I can. But the manual is for Jessie, is there an updated version for Stretch? It probably doesn't matter much, most of the info should be the same for both.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

You use "visudo" to add yourself to the sudoers file,

man visudo

Sudo is a ubuntu thing, I don't really know much about it, and you don't really need it, ..
The command to get root privileges 'su' , see

man su
is fine and
that is what I use. Simply type 'su' at the prompt, type in the password, and you become root. Be sure to type "exit" when your done, to return as a normal user.
If the prompt has a # it means you are root, $ means normal user.
The command 'whoami' or 'who' will also show if you are root or user,...

$ who
garry    ttyC0    Jun 22 07:44 
$ whoami
garry
$ su
Password:
# whoami
root
# 

Really all of this is in the basic documentation , if you just read some of it, no need for any one to write a over long post on all of this, with all the details.

There also is plenty of documentation online, for example:
How do I add myself to sudoers file
Post by scotallan » 2018-06-22 10:02
When I try to install sudo in a terminal it is reported to already be present, so it must have been installed *BY DEFAULT* by the network installer.
Maybe they have changed it then, ...on previous versions of Debian, I never had the Ubuntu feature, it was not installed, but with so many people coming from Ubuntu, maybe they decided to include it.

arzgi

#8 Post by arzgi »

GarryRicketson wrote: Sudo is a ubuntu thing
I was using sudo on Debian before ubuntu existed... 8)

Nowadays Debian installer does not require setting root password, in that case first user is added to sudo group. That comes from ubuntu.

And it does not more than add user to sudo group, logout and login, and you can use sudo.
Last edited by arzgi on 2018-06-22 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Interesting, I had never heard of it until I tried Ubuntu,.........
===== edited ----
scotallan »
But now, when I try to use sudo, it tells me I'm not in the sudoers file.
arzgi »
Nowadays Debian installer does not require setting root password, in that case first user is added to sudo group.
Apparently either the OP is not the first user, or something went wrong, and it did not add them to the sudo group.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-06-22 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#10 Post by None1975 »

scotallan wrote:I Ment to ask How Do I Activte Sudo Was The Question I Ment To Ask Also As I Afterthough, I'm Running This As LXDE Don't Think That Makes Any Difference
Then I would ask you to clearly express your thoughts and understandably formulate the questions because there is some kind of porridge....By the way, sudo is not necessary for system administration. This is Ubuntu's exclamation.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

The installer asks if you want to set up a root account password. If you do, you don't get sudo by default. If you don't, then you get sudo. You can have both going on your install, though. You can just use root instead of sudo...if you remember your root password.
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

RE:
I was using sudo on Debian before ubuntu existed...
Kind of swinging "off topic" here, but I just looked at :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo
History

Robert Coggeshall and Cliff Spencer wrote the original subsystem around 1980 at the Department of Computer Science at SUNY/Buffalo.[9] As of 2018 the current version is under active development, maintained by OpenBSD developer Todd C. Miller and distributed under a ISC-style license.[9]
Hmm, so I guess one could say it is a OpenBsd thing ? and yes, that was sometime before Ubuntu existed,
from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_version_history
Ubuntu version history

Ubuntu releases are made semiannually by Canonical Ltd, the developers of the Ubuntu operating system, using the year and month of the release as a version number. The first Ubuntu release, for example, was Ubuntu 4.10 and was released on 20 October 2004.
So any way, some interesting history,...