Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

live version - wired and no wireless possibility

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
zenmonk

live version - wired and no wireless possibility

#1 Post by zenmonk »

i downloaded the install 9 and also tried the smaller live version. when i went try to see what it was like there was no - and i mean no -possibility of any wireless network recognition or setup. only wired? i thought that was rather strange. any clues as to why - running thinkpads. they work flawlessly with a few other distros - debian based.

bw123

Re: live version - wired and no wireless possibility

#2 Post by bw123 »

resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Firmware. Get it if you need it.
MX Linux packager and developer

zenmonk

#4 Post by zenmonk »

thanks - it is a live CD - i never heard of installing stuff toi use in a live dvd setting to check it out before you install. that is weird. hmmm...
oh well. it should not be that tough. others do it. i appreciate the help.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#5 Post by arochester »

If you need firmware you might try the unofficial non-free disks with firmware installed https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

zenmonk

#6 Post by zenmonk »

Ok great! did not see that link before. i was hoping to get debian up and running as a neophyte vs. stumbling through it. i also wanted to see how nice it is before i do install it. hope this makes sense to you.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

zenmonk wrote:Ok great! did not see that link before. i was hoping to get debian up and running as a neophyte vs. stumbling through it. i also wanted to see how nice it is before i do install it. hope this makes sense to you.
You can get a live version with non-free firmware also to try before installing. Do you know what wi-fi device you have? In the USA, at least, laptops are required to show the device's FCC ID on the back someplace, and a web search will then identify your device. That's if the Debian tools just show you some cryptic ID like 8086:04e6...
MX Linux packager and developer

arzgi

#8 Post by arzgi »

stevepusser wrote: That's if the Debian tools just show you some cryptic ID like 8086:04e6...
And you can do web search to open those cryptic IDs.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ In fact, there's a whole Debian wiki page about it:

https://wiki.debian.org/HowToIdentifyADevice/PCI
deadbang

bw123

#10 Post by bw123 »

zenmonk wrote:Ok great! did not see that link before. i was hoping to get debian up and running as a neophyte vs. stumbling through it. i also wanted to see how nice it is before i do install it. hope this makes sense to you.
I think it makes a lot of sense to use a live system before installing. It's very helpful for gathering the hardware info you will need. You can get familiar with where everything is and what configs look like on a working system. Plus, they become a decent rescue tool if you have problems after installation.
resigned by AI ChatGPT