Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlarging Screen Font

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
JerryP

Enlarging Screen Font

#1 Post by JerryP »

I just successfully installed Debian on my Windows 10 PC in command line mode (NO GUI). How may I enlarge the font size on the screen, please?

bw123

Re: Enlarging Screen Font

#2 Post by bw123 »

see if this helps?

Code: Select all

$ apt policy console-setup
console-setup:
  Installed: 1.164
  Candidate: 1.164
  Version table:
 *** 1.164 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ su
Password: 
# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
resigned by AI ChatGPT

JerryP

#3 Post by JerryP »

The commands: apt policy console-setup responded with: N: Unable to locate package console-setup.

I have Debian GNU/Linux version 9.3 installed on Windows 10 PC via the Microsoft Store instructions.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

JerryP wrote:via the Microsoft Store instructions.
Maybe it's a good idea to turn to Microsoft help center? What do you think?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@OP: can't you just make the window bigger? :mrgreen:
deadbang

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

None1975 wrote:
JerryP wrote:via the Microsoft Store instructions.
Maybe it's a good idea to turn to Microsoft help center? What do you think?
i'm thinking of something clever to say, but it's already been said...

JerryP

#7 Post by JerryP »

Thanks to the first attempt that just didn't work out. However, other replies are useless and not helpful to someone trying to learn.
I really expected better, but such is today's environment.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

JerryP wrote:The commands: apt policy console-setup responded with: N: Unable to locate package console-setup.

I have Debian GNU/Linux version 9.3 installed on Windows 10 PC via the Microsoft Store instructions.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/debia ... svkqc78pk6

From the comments on that page, it looks like it is lacking some tools, but can be updated. You'll probably need to setup network access and your sources.list it's okay everybody has to start somewhere.

An alternative to the dpkg-reconfigure console-setup might be to edit the file yourself. I never tried it, check this link.
https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-to-li ... sole-fonts
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

JerryP wrote:
The commands: apt policy console-setup responded with: N: Unable to locate package console-setup.
You may have to install the package,:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... sole-setup
===
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/console-setup
stretch (stable) (utils): console font and keymap setup program
1.164: all

apt install console-setup
to install it.

Your /etc/apt/sources.list needs to be correct in order to install packages.
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

As for asking the Microsoft help center, that may be better, nobody here would know what kind of things they have done to this package,and the so called Debian they put in it, it may not be able to install packages from the Debian repositories, etc. I notice one comment:
"man: command not found"... WHAT?!

man (manual) has been (at least IMHO) an integral part of UNIX/Linux since its earliest days. The developers who created the Microsoft Store app probably did not have a clue.
So it would be a good idea to install the manuals, and the 'man' command, that way you won't need to be asking people to hold your hand, and explain every detail, and how to use the various commands. Who knows what else they have left out, it may not work like a true Debian system.
----- edit---
better choice of words:it may not work like a complete Debian system.
Note "complete" will depend on what your needs are.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-07-03 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

JerryP

#10 Post by JerryP »

Again, THANKS for suggestions. You must understand that Linux is COMPLETELY new to me and I don't know HOW to do these "installs." Furthermore, I would have thought that the Microsoft application would have only paved the way, so to speak, for installing Debian and nothings to do with Debian itself. In fact, I went to a separate page to do the final install after the first maneuver.

I've printed out these suggestions and will attempt to implement them. It ALL so confusing when there are so many supplementary packages to install. I guess for a balding grey haired 84 yo man, I am doing fairly well.

Thanks again,
Jerry

milomak

#11 Post by milomak »

if you are going straight into console isn't this just a case of setting GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 (obviously your size) in /etc/default/grub
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

JerryP

#12 Post by JerryP »

Gary, you commented: " that way you won't need to be asking people to hold your hand, and explain every detail, and how to use the various commands."

As I recall, I asked ONE simple question, not any hand holding or tutorials.

I would have expected that the "New Member Questions" be answered respectfully. WRONG.

Question and String OVER.

milomak

#13 Post by milomak »

JerryP wrote:Gary, you commented: " that way you won't need to be asking people to hold your hand, and explain every detail, and how to use the various commands."

I would have expected that the "New Member Questions" be answered respectfully. WRONG.

The Forum has this. Your OP seems not to have read it

So even in the New Members section there are expectations
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

This is the problem with windows users, they get offended so easily,... any way,
by JerryP » You must understand that Linux is COMPLETELY new to me and I don't know HOW to do these "installs."
That is why you need the "man" command, so you can have the manuals and read them, to understand the commands you use, ....
As far as other instruction, like you say:
You must understand that Linux is COMPLETELY new to me and I don't know HOW to do these "installs."
So why not do a search : key words= How to install packages on Debian
First hit:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement
Or try the keywords "How to get started with Debian"
First hit:https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/main ... rt.en.html
Also I did show you, how to install the packages in my earlier post:

apt install console-setup
is the command, other packages, just replace "console-setup" with the correct name of the package you want.
Go to the Debian.org website, and read some of the documentation, there is plenty, and it will explain most of the things you need to know.

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

JerryP wrote:Gary, you commented: " that way you won't need to be asking people to hold your hand, and explain every detail, and how to use the various commands."

I am sorry for even bothering to try to help you , now.... sheesh , what a waste of time.
Just click the YES ,... so any way good luck.

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

JerryP wrote:Thanks to the first attempt that just didn't work out. However, other replies are useless and not helpful to someone trying to learn.
I really expected better, but such is today's environment.
you have to see it from our point of view:
we've been using linux for years, natively, installed to hard drive etc.
and suddenly there's an influx of questions for linux installed on Windows.
this is
  • annoying, because if microsoft want to up their image by giving FOSS to its users, they should also deal with support
  • complicated, because one can never know whether the problem stems from some windows-specific situation
  • annoying again because windows users naturally have helpdesk mentality, and we don't do that here.
yes, such is today's environment. nobody appreciates the true qualities of FOSS and its communties anymore. everyone is just a customer.

also see http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

on a more constructive note:
why don't you try Linux the way it is intended to be used?
mosey over to one of the large distro's websites, create a bootable USB stick, and test.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

I would suggest that the new Linux for Windows setup is primarily for developers who have knowledge of both and wish to use some Linux features/applications while developing in Windows. It's a command line interface so is definitely not the way for newbies to get their first taste of Linux.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

With out the manual pages and the 'man' command, that kind of renders the system useless to any one new to Linux and Debian, unless they know how to do searches on line,...
I guess maybe the OP got mad and it is my fault, all though I was trying to help, I did not intend or mean to offend them, but with the man command, and no search skills, the only option is to ask for help,and "handholding", walk the beginner through the basic commands, explain how to install packages, etc,,,,
Even with experience with Linux, I find the 'man' command , and pages to be one of the most essential commands on my system.
There is a command: 'setfont', for details:

man setfont
But with out any man command, pages, of course there is the search engine:
setfont manual for Debian
I don't know if this Windows Debian version has the command, and package or not,...
First hit: https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts
another hit goes into using console-setup
I have really bad eyes and they are getting worse all the time, so the small fonts on the console is a problem for me as well, but I have never bothered to try to use 'setfont' or the 'console-setup' program, (which was not available for Debian Wheezy any way)
So any way, on a minimal install, like what the WindowsDebian seems to be, the first things I do is install the manual pages and 'man' command, and Xorg, so I can also install a window manager, and then xterm, xterm is easy to change the font size:

xterm -fa 'Monospace' -fs 20 
Or even easier, install the xfce4-terminal, which has a "easy click" button:
edit>select preferences >appearance> fontsize
Probably someone use to windows would be better off installing a DesktopEnvironment of some sort, but with out the manual, and not knowing how to install any package, well even if they didn't ask for "handholding" they need it, at least to get started, any way, hopefully this helps somebody, even if the OP does not come back,... that is all for now.