Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Steam Not Launching

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pazg1234

Steam Not Launching

#1 Post by pazg1234 »

First things first I'm on Debian testing "Buster" 64bit using the Nvidia proprietary driver from the repositories with a Gtx 760.
Steam does work on Arch Linux and also on Fedora without problems.
running steam via command gives this queer output:

Code: Select all

usr@usr:~$ steam
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[2018-07-09 16:54:00] Startup - updater built Nov 23 2016 01:05:42
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
Value in failed request:  0x0
Serial number of failed request:  22
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing
Segmentation fault
cat: '/home/usr/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime.tar.xz.part*': No such file or directory
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
xz: (stdin): File format not recognized
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
find: ‘/home/usr/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime’: No such file or directory
[/size]
creating "/home/usr/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime" with mkdir as I saw in another place generates a different output:

usr@usr:~$ steam
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[2018-07-09 16:59:52] Startup - updater built Nov 23 2016 01:05:42
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Serial number of failed request:  22
Segmentation fault
[/size]
I did install "libgl1-mesa-glx:i386" to no avail.
I did install "libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386" but seems to do nothing.
I am a member of:

usr@usr:~$ groups
usr cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev
I'd love some help, thanks.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Steam Not Launching

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

pazg1234

#3 Post by pazg1234 »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
obviously I read it, am I missing something?

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

First off. Where did you install Steam from?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Ardouos

#5 Post by Ardouos »

pazg1234 wrote:
dilberts_left_nut wrote:https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
obviously I read it, am I missing something?
Is it? Why didn't you mention it in the original post everything that you have tried? :?
Last edited by Ardouos on 2018-07-09 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Ardouos

#6 Post by Ardouos »

pazg1234 wrote: SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 22
You seem to have X errors. How did you install the Nvidia drivers? Did Steam work with the nouveau driver?

A quick search on that error concludes:
Libraries not being found/ out of date.
Graphic driver issues

You could try re-installing your Nvidia drivers and configuring X properly.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

pazg1234

#7 Post by pazg1234 »

Ardouos wrote:First off. Where did you install Steam from?
Repositories, non-free as it's known around here.
Ardouos wrote:Is it? Why didn't you mention it in the original post everything that you have tried?
I did mention everything that I tried, as in:
*Installing the proprietary driver
*Trying to use steam on other distributions and seeing that it works
*manually creating "/home/usr/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime"
*Installing libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 and libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
*Adding my user to the "video" and "audio" groups.
It should be obvious because how else would I have known that you need to add your user to the aforementioned groups were I not to read the wiki?
Ardouos wrote:You seem to have X errors. How did you install the Nvidia drivers? Did Steam work with the nouveau driver?

A quick search on that error concludes:
Libraries not being found/ out of date.
Graphic driver issues

You could try re-installing your Nvidia drivers and configuring X properly.
It's written literally in the first line of my message that I'm using the proprietary driver from the repository, I didn't test steam with nouveau usually I don't bother, the performance loss is just too great in the projects current state.
I will try to reinstall the Nvidia driver and report here, outside of nvidia-xconfig I don't know what "configuring X properly" entails.
Would you cite your "simple google search" sources, I'm handily capable of searching google (ddg in my case :P ) and I've yet to find any clue of which libraries I might be missing or what the problem might be.

I did neglect to mention that I'm currently coming from Arch where I used I3 and steam worked to (as I mentioned) Debian Buster with Openbox
EDIT: Reinstalled the Nvidia driver now with "apt --reinstall nvidia-driver" and rebooted, it still gives the same errors.

Ardouos

#8 Post by Ardouos »

pazg1234 wrote: It's written literally in the first line of my message that I'm using the proprietary driver from the repository
I generally do not trust the wording of "the repository" as from time to time it can mean different things to different people, sorry.
pazg1234 wrote: I didn't test steam with nouveau usually I don't bother, the performance loss is just too great in the projects current state.
The idea is to test if Steam is actually working with a different driver, I did not expect you to settle with it.

pazg1234 wrote: I will try to reinstall the Nvidia driver and report here, outside of nvidia-xconfig I don't know what "configuring X properly" entails.
That is the preferred way, nvidia-xconfig generally does a great job. Sadly some people need to change settings in their xorg.conf. But it is likely not the case, just an idea thrown out. I am correct if it is a desktop machine with only an Nvidia card?

pazg1234 wrote: Would you cite your "simple google search" sources, I'm handily capable of searching google (ddg in my case :P ) and I've yet to find any clue of which libraries I might be missing or what the problem might be.
I did not tell you to Google search, I refuse to use the synonym as it brands a general tool. *shakes fist*.
I was searching for the error that I have quoted and it came up with the results I have already mentioned.

pazg1234 wrote: I did neglect to mention that I'm currently coming from Arch where I used I3 and steam worked to (as I mentioned) Debian Buster with Openbox
I cannot help much with testing/unstable as I do not run it, it maybe a bug or compatibility with libraries.... Or something else.
pazg1234 wrote: EDIT: Reinstalled the Nvidia driver now with "apt --reinstall nvidia-driver" and rebooted, it still gives the same errors.
AFAIK that would only reinstall the nvidia-driver package? You would need to completely uninstall all Nvidia packages from your system, then reinstall it.

apt remove nvidia*
You can also check if you have the correct headers installed or if the nouveau driver is properly blacklisted.

It is an issue I have not seen before, but I hope you get it sorted.

p.s. After some reading around I see people mention that a specific version of the Nvidia driver with steams libraries can cause the problem? But take it with a grain of salt, as I said before that I do not use the development releases of Debian.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

pazg1234

#9 Post by pazg1234 »

Ardouos wrote: I generally do not trust the wording of "the repository" as from time to time it can mean different things to different people, sorry.
forgiven :lol:
Ardouos wrote: The idea is to test if Steam is actually working with a different driver, I did not expect you to settle with it.
Gives a different error with Nouveau

Serial number of failed request:  31
Segmentation fault
[/size]
Ardouos wrote: That is the preferred way, nvidia-xconfig generally does a great job. Sadly some people need to change settings in their xorg.conf. But it is likely not the case, just an idea thrown out. I am correct if it is a desktop machine with only an Nvidia card?
Indeed your assumption is correct.
Ardouos wrote: It is an issue I have not seen before, but I hope you get it sorted.

p.s. After some reading around I see people mention that a specific version of the Nvidia driver with steams libraries can cause the problem? But take it with a grain of salt, as I said before that I do not use the development releases of Debian.
So you're suggesting a downgrade?

pazg1234

#10 Post by pazg1234 »

Small breakthrough, with dmesg output for the command 'steam' is

segfault at fffffffd ip 00000000f796e7dc sp 00000000ff8f54d0 error 4 in libc-2.27.so[f78f4000+1d2000]
I've absolutely no clue as to what it means, long strings are also kinda hard to search.

Wheelerof4te

#11 Post by Wheelerof4te »

On a system with only one user, you do not need to add your user to "audio" and "video" groups. Your first user is always added to mentioned and other basic groups.
pazg1234 wrote:First things first I'm on Debian testing "Buster" 64bit using the Nvidia proprietary driver from the repositories with a Gtx 760.
Now, if you have been following this forum or Reddit, there is/was a problem with nvidia-driver in Testing.
So my guess would be a faulty nvidia-driver install. Or it can be a problem with the Xorg 1.20 in Testing. Really, when you are running a beta release of next-stable, you must expect errors.

EDIT: Yup:
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... ries_keep/

pazg1234

#12 Post by pazg1234 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:On a system with only one user, you do not need to add your user to "audio" and "video" groups. Your first user is always added to mentioned and other basic groups.
pazg1234 wrote:First things first I'm on Debian testing "Buster" 64bit using the Nvidia proprietary driver from the repositories with a Gtx 760.
Now, if you have been following this forum or Reddit, there is/was a problem with nvidia-driver in Testing.
So my guess would be a faulty nvidia-driver install. Or it can be a problem with the Xorg 1.20 in Testing. Really, when you are running a beta release of next-stable, you must expect errors.

EDIT: Yup:
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... ries_keep/
Thanks for your answer but I do believe it's also the case with stable, I switched after it didn't work there.
I'll install it shortly and edit with results.

EDIT: Indeed even with 375.82 Nvidia driver in stable there's not much luck, here's the output
and that's after a mkdir.