Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

is there a way to install drivers without tons of commands

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
BIGendBOLT

#1 Post by BIGendBOLT »

Getting pretty irritated trying to figure out how to install drivers is there a way to do it without going through an entire process of using the terminal and a bunch of commands?

L_V

Re: is there a way to install drivers without tons of comman

#2 Post by L_V »

Could you be more explicit on which kind of "driver" you want to install ?
If available in the Debian repository, only one command should be enough.

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

Tip: You do not need to type many commands into the Terminal. Highlight the command written on a web page. Move your cursor anywhere in the Terminal and press your mouse wheel or mouse middle button. Automatic Copy and paste! No spelling mistakes! No Typos! No other errors!
Identifying a network device, and installing its driver
If your network connection is not functioning, it is usually a driver issue. In order to select the right one, we need to identify first the network device.

Within a terminal, in user mode, launch the command:

lspci | grep -i "net" | cut -d: -f3
which will return a result like:

Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller ...
Here, the detected Wi-fi device is the Broadcom BCM4322

If I run a simple Internet search, like "Debian Broadcom BCM4322", I found quickly the right page (https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx) which tells me to install the firmware-b43-installer.

The Wi-fi connection setting is a very touchy subject for the GNU/Linux distributions, due to the non-free nature of the drivers to be installed.

More information on the Debian Wi-fi Wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/éWiFi.
- Source https://dflinux.frama.io/thebeginnersha ... -starting/

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

BIGendBOLT wrote:how to install drivers
The drivers are usually already included in the kernel, this isn't Windows ;)

Are you sure you don't mean firmware?
deadbang

jibberjabber

#6 Post by jibberjabber »

BIGendBOLT wrote:Getting pretty irritated trying to figure out how to install drivers is there a way to do it without going through an entire process of using the terminal and a bunch of commands?
First read this: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
And we do realize, understand that this is "Beginners Questions", so no problem, but first things first,... learn how to ask a question the smart way.
Then come back here, and ask about this. Be specific, ...
What are you trying to install drivers to ?
On Debian , as H_O_A_S said, The drivers are usually already included in the kernel,.... so is this even Debian ?, and if it is, what version ?
Give some information about the hardware, is it a driver for a printer, or what ?
Or maybe it is that you mean firmware ? There is a difference.
what is the difference between firmware and a driver
===== off topic ===
by Head_on_a_Stick »The drivers are usually already included in the kernel, this isn't Windows
Maybe that is the problem , the OP is trying to install Windows ?
Years ago, that was a key factor in why I switched to Linux, I had a install DVD for Windows XP, but it did not include any drivers, so was essentially use less.
And to try to get drivers, and then install them was confusing and complicated,
so I ended up taking the Laptop to a repair shop, they did have the drivers for that laptop, and were able to install them,...but shortly later, being MS windows, and viruses, etc... it crashed again,... so I downloaded a Knoppix image, and it was so user friendly , easy,... no problems with needing drivers, etc...never looked back, bye bye windows.
Any way, nobody can really help the OP without knowing anything about the hardware, OS, version of the OS , etc....
======= Beginners lesson 101====
Searches and search bots.
Based on the topic title, and information given , my search bot finds these:
They (the results )are all for windows, so that is what makes me think the OP is using windows.
Now, logic comes into play here, since this is Debian Users Forum, then maybe the OP is using Debian, so the AI bot, tells me to add Debian to my search string.
is there a way to install drivers on Debian without tons of commands
Ok, great, now the results are about Debian,... One that I found useful, was :
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 04.html.en
Have a good day :D
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

BIGendBOLT

#7 Post by BIGendBOLT »

Problem is my display isnt being recognized and is stuck at low res so i figured maybe it's my nvidia drivers that either didn't install or didnt install properly but everything I find to just install the correct drivers looks pretty involved and was wondering if there was a way to do it without the terminal commands. If not Ill suck it up and do it that way but when I was searching I was thinking there has to be a better way.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

If you don't want to read and copypaste a few terminal commands, I really don't think Debian is the distro for you.

There are some Debian derivatives, such as MX Linux (disclosure: I help develop it), Sparky, Bunsen Labs, SolydXK, or Ubuntu and Mint, that make these type of proprietary driver installs much simpler, but that's not Debian's mission.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

BIGendBOLT wrote:Getting pretty irritated trying to figure out how to install drivers is there a way to do it without going through an entire process of using the terminal and a bunch of commands?
BIGendBOLT wrote:Problem is my display isnt being recognized and is stuck at low res so i figured maybe it's my nvidia drivers that either didn't install or didnt install properly but everything I find to just install the correct drivers looks pretty involved and was wondering if there was a way to do it without the terminal commands. If not Ill suck it up and do it that way but when I was searching I was thinking there has to be a better way.
this is all you contributed to the solution of your problem so far.
i think the assessment of the previous poster is correct.
try mint or *buntu, they both have fancy "additional drivers" guis.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#10 Post by None1975 »

If you do not want to learn, read documentation, etc. then use something simpler. For example Ubuntu, Mx Linux, Linux Mint and the like. And if it's too hard for you, use Windows. There, Mr. John W. Thompson thought for you all :D
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github