Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to check if certain libraries need reinstalling

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
LoiNeeZ

How to check if certain libraries need reinstalling

#1 Post by LoiNeeZ »

Hello there,
I was wondering if there is a way to check if libraries need reinstalling due to errors in lunching certain programs, let me provide a little background:
I do not use linux often, as much as I like the linux system I have hard time running things on linux because I am a casual when it comes to it, I know how to navigate in any linux OS but I do not know how to fix problems in the OS when multiple problems surface in my terminal.
I was trying to get Dwarf Fortress running on my ASUS Eee pc, it is 32bit and it has the an Intel atom graphics card, amazing I know[Sarcastically].
After I installed Debian 9 on it I did the normal things updated everything I need to run the system as smoothly as I can using this guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWBHJmAmZgk&t=128s
There were no problems what so ever in getting everything the guide needed, after that I decided I wanted Katoolin tools on my PC, while 6 of the tools listed gave me trouble all the others are on my pc, most of my problems in installing the tools went from w3af package which was broken and some others I dont really use.
Now we get to the part I tried to install Dwarf Fortress, with the help of the wiki I installed the packages listen for the Debian distro to run the thing, after that was done I got this error:

Code: Select all

[color=#FF0040]./df: 6: ./df: ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: Exec format error[/color]
which related to the fact that the normal install in the Bay12games website automaticly tries to give anyone the 64bit tar of the game, which I understood once I did a post on the Dwarf Fortress forums, they kind people there explained my error to me and redirected me to the git site to get myself the 32bit files to run the game, sadly the problems didnt end then.
After I got the 32bit I tried to run the game and was presented with this error:

[color=#FF0040]Not found: data/art/curses_640x300.png[/color]
The full error Is long but it related to libpng error: bad parameters to zlib describes all the different errors and ends with this in the terminal:
GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
Now the last person told me I might have problems with my libpng and GNOME setup, is there a way to confirm before tackaling the problem I have, also I never did reinstall those two so if I could get a guide for it, assuming the assumptions are correct I would really appritiate it.
Well that was a mouthfull thx for sticking this long at reading my lifes problems as for this moment.

bw123

Re: How to check if certain libraries need reinstalling

#2 Post by bw123 »

In a case like this, since you are a casual user, and willing to experiment, have you considered switching to testing and installing it from the repo?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172025.0
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
https://packages.debian.org/search?arch ... f-fortress

Have you tried the hack suggested here?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=898175

The bug also lists all the pkgs you need installed, so check that.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

LoiNeeZ

#3 Post by LoiNeeZ »

When you say repo you mean to get it via the terminal I am guessing, if thats the case I tried and I had the same problem.
The bay12games forum link you posted is the post I made with the suggestion I got to try and remove and than install libpng or GNOME but I am having second thoughts about the matter, since I dont know for certain where the problem lies and I seek a method to test GNOME and libpng which I have already installed.
While I am willing to do some testing to try and solve this problem I also know the consequences that can happen from my experience trying to get all the katoolin tools on my pc and let me tell you some of the packages there really gave me a hard time that required me to reinstall the OS 12 times until I figured out what was missing and the order to get them, especially w3af.
As for the Dwarf Fortress versions on the Debian package section I dont really know what am I looking there the between the sid,buster,Dwarf fortress package and the Dwarf fortress data package nor do I see there an order to the links or what to do once I download them.
As for the bug solution provided on in your last link the first problem is the fact that I have the 44.12 32bit version and that I tried the LD_PRELOAD solution from the terminal as suggested in many other guides with a direct guide on how to use that function, on the Debian error fix to version 44.10 one they dont say the file name they jest call it a "shortcut" which I dont have since I got it from the bay12games website as a tar file and extracted it on my desktop.
soo what do I do exactly, I dont really want to do more trail and error if I am honest but I am willing to experiment as long as I know exactly what I am doing and not with a vague guide that tells me to edit the shortcut which I dont have or where to place the code in the txt file.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

LoiNeeZ wrote:After I installed Debian 9 on it I did the normal things updated everything I need to run the system as smoothly as I can using this guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWBHJmAmZgk&t=128s
"the normal things" from some random yt video?
i smell trouble.
./df: 6: ./df: ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: Exec format error
this usually means you're trying to run 32 on 64bit or vice versa.
the normal install in the Bay12games website
again, that is not "normal".
The full error Is long but...
that won't do.
we need full errors, and a full report of what you actually did there, not bits and pieces you THINK might be interesting.

LoiNeeZ

#5 Post by LoiNeeZ »

Ok here is the error I get in both cases:
Case#1: When I try to run ./df in the terminal after adding to the ./df file a line:
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libz.so.1
it was suggested by the wiki.
This is the error output:

@debian:~/Desktop/df_lnp/pack/df_linux# ./df
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libz.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libz.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
[distro_fixes] INFO Checking whether any distro specific fixes are required...
[distro_fixes] WARN did not find df binary at /root/Desktop/df_lnp/pack/df_linux/libs/Dwarf_Fortress
[distro_fixes] INFO OS: Debian
[distro_fixes] INFO ARCH: i686
[distro_fixes] INFO VER: 9.5
[distro_fixes] INFO DF_ARCH: 
[distro_fixes] INFO DF_BIN_LOCATION: /root/Desktop/df_lnp/pack/df_linux/libs/Dwarf_Fortress
[distro_fixes] INFO PRELOAD_LIB: 
[distro_fixes] INFO LD_LIBRARY_PATH: 
[distro_fixes] INFO Done
./df: line 12: ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: No such file or directory
Case#2:When I try to run an unmodified ./df in the terminal:
First I get a window popup saying this:
Not found: data/art/curses_640x300.png
This is within the terminal mind you that the popup blocks me from viewing the part where I started the command for some reason but I seen only zlib in the initial part before it gave the entire error which is:

:
        /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/focus.png,
borders don't fit within the image

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

** (Dwarf_Fortress:1928): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
        /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/button.png,

** (Dwarf_Fortress:1928): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'edit-cut' for stock: Fatal error reading PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'edit-copy' for stock: Fatal error reading PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'edit-paste' for stock: Fatal error reading PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'edit-delete' for stock: Fatal error reading PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

(Dwarf_Fortress:1928): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'edit-select-all' for stock: Fatal error reading PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

** (Dwarf_Fortress:1928): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/line.png: Failed to load image '/usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/line.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

/usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/line.png,

/usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/button-hover.png,

** (Dwarf_Fortress:1928): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/button-active.png: Failed to load image '/usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/button-active.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: bad parameters to zlib

/usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/button-active.png,

Any idea how to fix thix?

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

the errors you are seeing make me think of trying to run a program that was compiled for a different architecture.

why don't you
- see if you can get the proper version for your atom netbook
- compile it yourself
- find a backport or backport it from sid?

PS: you can ignore the gdk errors.

LoiNeeZ

#7 Post by LoiNeeZ »

could you link me a guide on how it is done?

P.S: I found on pkgs.org the right architecture but it is under the tab "Fedora Rawhide" that is the best link I was able to find, should I try it?

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

check the "how to" section of this forum for backporting or compiling instructions.

LoiNeeZ

#9 Post by LoiNeeZ »

But about that version I found, is it valid despite me using debian?
https://packages.archlinux32.org/commun ... ffortress/

Ok, I managed to fix the issue I was having, apparently it was a problem with the DF file, it had some other setting to get to the zlib resources that were probably in the encrypted sh application that is the actual dwarf fortress game located in the lib folder inside the df_linux folder.
I only had to add:

export LD_PRELOAD=libz.so.1
also had to add it right "cd ${DF_DIR}" unlike the first time I tried to add it right after the Bash command.
anyway problem is fixed as far as I know, thx.